FORUMS: list search recent posts

Deciding on lenses for Canon 60D

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Silva
Deciding on lenses for Canon 60D
on Aug 9, 2011 at 1:32:39 pm

So I've finally decided to go with the Canon 60D DSLR for my video needs. The issue now is finding what lens(s) I need. I was really set on picking up the Sigma 30mm 1.4 and the Canon 50mm 1.4 to start. I'm going to be working inside in a lot of possible low light and controlled situation. I did however talk to a friend who has been doing DSLR video for a long time and has pointed me towards what he calls "The one Lens to Rule them All"

Im being recommended the Tamron 17-50 2.8 with VC which apparently helps out a whole lot with video. I mean as of now my workload is controlled environments but it may become more dynamic. This seems like a future proof piece of glass, but i worry my image quality may suffer.

In an ideal world I can have all of them , but it would be the first two of the latter to begin.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Return to posts index

Frank Giardina
Re: Deciding on lenses for Canon 60D
on Aug 9, 2011 at 3:23:10 pm

Hi...

If you're in low light, and can not use external lighting, you'll have to use a high ISO. I try to avoid that, but it's up to you. With low light, I try to stay with f1.4 to f2.0 and that means primes... I know, that can be a pain, but if you're not run and gun primes are a good thing.

Happy Hunting!

Frank Giardina
17 Video Production

Return to posts index

Phil Balsdon
on Aug 9, 2011 at 10:38:35 pm

At f2.8 a lens allows only a quarter the amount of light through as at f1.4.

2 full stops.

Cinematographer, Steadicam Operator, Final Cut Pro Post Production.
http://philming.com.au
http://www.steadi-onfilms.com.au/

Return to posts index

Frank Giardina
on Aug 9, 2011 at 10:42:49 pm

Phil is right... Don't get me wrong 2.8 is great for sure, I have a Canon 24-70mm f2.8 and love it, but in low light... it's not as good as a f1.4 or f1.8 prime

Frank Giardina
17 Video Production

Return to posts index

Phil Balsdon
on Aug 10, 2011 at 2:27:11 am

My regular lenses are the L series Canon f2.8 zooms. For low light and when I want extreme low depth of field I use the faster primes.

I'm not totally a fan of the extreme low depth of field all the time. I don't really like part of the face in focus and the rest out. Also find that when the background gets too defocused you can't see what it actually is and it starts to take on flat no depth sort of look, giving to the whole image a likeness to a studio chroma key or CGI, ie a foreground subject in front of a flat background.

Cinematographer, Steadicam Operator, Final Cut Pro Post Production.
http://philming.com.au
http://www.steadi-onfilms.com.au/

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Aug 19, 2011 at 6:51:25 pm

I would recommend the Canon L-Series 24-70 2.8 for the first lens. Flexibility of distance, great image.

1.4 is great in low light, but it depends what you are shooting. If you are shooting live events where the subject is constantly moving, it'll be a real pain to keep focus. Your depth of field will be very shallow and if the subject moves and inch, you'll be out of focus. Otherwise, primes such as 24, 50, 100, are great and you'll be able to get the 1.2 / 1.4 fast lens for low light.

Nikon and Canon make great lenses. The other brands will give you good images for the cost, but Canon L-Series has great color and detail.

I also have the canon 1.4 50mm lens for around $250. Not as good as an L-Series, but it still looks great for the low cost.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite