FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can't decide on a DSLR for interior videos!

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Victor Lin
Can't decide on a DSLR for interior videos!
on Aug 7, 2011 at 10:44:26 pm

I'm going to be shooting real estate videography and I can't decide on a DSLR.

When I just shot photos, I used a 9 shot HDR bracket with my Nikon D300s.

Now I'm finding that the D300s has really crappy video and no community or 3rd party support of video enthusiasts like Canon does.

Canon has Magic Lantern and Cinestyle available to get as much dynamic range as possible from a scene, something that is very important for my line of work because:

1. Exteriors could be bright mixed with heavy shadows from trees.
2. Interiors have open windows that blow out heavily.

I just don't know which DSLR to get!

5DMKII is too expensive. 7D? 60D? T3i? T2i? What about the D7000?

Also, since there's 3rd party firmware available, is there firmware that expands the range and number of brackets that can be shot? 3 brackets at 2EV is so low. Can I get 9 brackets at 1EV, or 5 brackets at 2EV?

Return to posts index

Phil Balsdon
Re: Can't decide on a DSLR for interior videos!
on Aug 8, 2011 at 5:33:17 am

7D and 60D are basically the same technology. The 60D has some useful features such as the tiltable lcd viewer and manual control for sound. A Nikon to EOS adaptor would enable you to use your Nikon lenses on the Canon.

Exposure bracketing is not viable in the same way as stills on video. Investigate some of the custom set ups which enhance the dynamic range for video on the Canons and familiarise yourself with colour correction in NLE post production and you should be fine.

Cinematographer, Steadicam Operator, Final Cut Pro Post Production.
http://philming.com.au
http://www.steadi-onfilms.com.au/

Return to posts index

Victor Lin
on Aug 8, 2011 at 4:39:47 pm

So for basic video purposes - shooting slow moving dolly videos of houses without sound, a T2i with ML and Cinestyle would be perfectly fine, no need to get a more expensive camera?

Return to posts index

Jaye James
on Oct 1, 2011 at 8:33:10 am

I used to shoot real estate video. Be warned it's hell trying to find an agent willing to pay for video.

But I used both a 60d and hv40.

The one thing you need for real Edgar video is a wide angle lens. The most critical part is having a lens hood fir your lens. Super important.

I used the tokina 11-16 and the 50mm.

Real estate is fun.

Sorry from an iphone

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]