FORUMS: list search recent posts

Failed Timelapse. What could have gone wrong?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Orr
Failed Timelapse. What could have gone wrong?
on Aug 5, 2011 at 8:19:50 pm

Hi everyone. I have a suspicion as to why my latest timelapse failed, but wanted some other inputs as to what could have caused this odd focusing issue.

Failed Timelapse - Whg Suspension Bridge from Ryan Orr on Vimeo.

As you can see, it started out focused and everything. My Canon 60D was set to AV mode per suggestion by Mr. Bloom due to the day to night transition. My lens is a Canon EF 50mm 1:1.8 lens (you know, the $100 one). I was probably wide open, so before I started the timelapse, I used the zoom in function to set a focus, so even when the DOF became super thin, it still 'should' have stayed in focus.

Like I said in the description of the vimeo video, I suspect the cheapo lens has a weak and shifty focus ring, and after an hour or so of the mirror jerking the camera, it could've bumped it out of focus?

Thanks for any info. Maybe next time I will tack the focus ring still with some Gaffers...unless that's not the problem?

Thanks,
Ryan~

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Failed Timelapse. What could have gone wrong?
on Aug 7, 2011 at 9:15:51 pm

Or you were focused much more shallow than you thought and you couldn't tell because you were at a much higher f-stop in day than in night. Make sure focus is really locked and at infinity next time. Practice makes perfect.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

Ryan Orr
Re: Failed Timelapse. What could have gone wrong?
on Aug 9, 2011 at 4:33:35 pm

Well, like I said after the video, before I even started shooting, I used the magnification buttons on the 60D to get that critical focus on the buildings. I would assume that only 'digitally' zooms into the center of the image, and since the lens is fixed focal, as long as the building had that critical focus, it should have been fine.

But also, like you said, maybe I underestimated how thin the DOF would be once the lens needed to be wide open during the after hours. Possibly adjusting the ISO to a higher number, the lens wouldn't have to be so wide open to expose right.

If I ever get the time to do another timelapse at that location (Wheeling, WV...btw), I'll finick with it again. I'll be sure to also use some tape to 'lock' in my focus, lol.

Thanks Noah,
Ryan~

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]