FORUMS: list search recent posts

ND filter changes tint

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Casey Petersen
ND filter changes tint
on Jul 20, 2011 at 8:53:33 pm

Somewhere it was mentioned to me that if I am shooting video with my 60D outdoors in bright sunlight, and if I wanted to keep the iris open wide to preserve a narrow depth of field, I should use a neutral density filter...I think they recommended one that is a ND10 (10 stops).

Wanting to experiment with that concept without spending too much, I bought a ND8 filter on ebay for a few dollars, and yes I know that the quality is not there, but I figured the basic concept would work well enough.

The problem I am having...and I'm wondering if this is solely because it's a cheaper filter, or if it is an issue regardless of price, is that everything has a reddish tint to it, and changing the white balance does not fix it (even in Kelvin mode).

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Casey

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: ND filter changes tint
on Jul 20, 2011 at 8:56:02 pm

That would be due to a cheap filter. Also it might also be a polarizer or some other sort of thing. Quality ND filters shouldn't affect color temperature.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

Casey Petersen
on Jul 21, 2011 at 2:20:46 pm

Thanks!

That being said...can you make a recommendation as to specific brands that you would consider quality filters?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 22, 2011 at 11:52:57 pm

Tiffen is always solid.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

Stephen Best
on Jul 24, 2011 at 11:21:51 pm

Casey, when you say, "everything has a reddish tint to it, and changing the white balance does not fix it" do you mean that if you set the ND filter and aperture that if you set your white balance off a white card that you get a reddish tint?

Regards
Stephen Best
http://stephenbest.ca

Return to posts index

Casey Petersen
on Jul 25, 2011 at 3:30:40 pm

Hmmm...haven't actually tried a white card yet...I had been dialing it up in Kelvin mode. I'll give that a shot.

Return to posts index

Liam Hall
on Jul 25, 2011 at 9:19:56 pm

[Casey Petersen] I think they recommended one that is a ND10 (10 stops).

For 10 stops you'd be using an ND1024 (3.0), not an ND10. ND8 (0.9) will get you 3 stops and ND16 will get you 4 stops.

If you were using a resin filter or a cheap glass one you'll get a colour cast..

If you were indeed using 10 stops of ND you've most likely got infrared contamination.

Typically, for outdoor shallow DoF I recommend using either an ND8 (0.9), ND16 (1.2) or an ND32 (1.5). ND32 is 5 stops which in bright sunshine will get you to f/2.8 at ISO100.

Liam Hall
Director/DoP/Editor
http://www.liamhall.net

Return to posts index

Casey Petersen
on Jul 26, 2011 at 7:22:20 pm

Oh wow...that's quite different than what I thought.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]