FORUMS: list search recent posts

What should my next HDLSR lens be?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ali Hassan
What should my next HDLSR lens be?
on Jul 14, 2011 at 4:12:02 am

Hi Guys,

I kinda know what I might buy but wanted some opinions and thoughts from you guys! :-)

Alright I have a Cannon 550D and I love it with a Cannon 50mm 1.4 and I have had that lens for quite sometime now, its a grest lens and gives me very sharp video quality but the fixed focal length is killing me and also its kinda hard to focus while shooting videos which I mostly use my camera for.

So I was thinking to buy a wide angle lens which would give me more range to shoot my videos and also a little help with focussing while shooting my videos, so I wanted to buy the Tokino 11-16 MM, I thought of buying the Sigma 8-16 mm but in low light I think the Tokino will perform better.

I dont really want to buy another lens with a fix focal length as I already have one so Tokino is what I was thinking...

Any Suggestions Guys??!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: What should my next HDLSR lens be?
on Jul 14, 2011 at 5:16:39 am

I'd get a wider zoom range- those are really narrow i.e. you won't feel much different than another prime.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

Ali Hassan
on Jul 14, 2011 at 5:23:39 am

So what do you suggest? coz I read philipbloom suggesting it on his blog so thought it might be a good buy..

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 14, 2011 at 5:55:44 am

Sure that's a great lens but it's a short range and that leaves a huge hole in your focal range up to 50mm. I'd be hard pressed to stick with just one lens. I'd consider getting a couple, then it's more down to how much you have to spend.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

Ali Hassan
on Jul 14, 2011 at 6:08:20 am

Well at the moment I can only spend on just the one lens so that was the reason I was oonsidering this wide angle lens..

Return to posts index

Errol Lazare
on Jul 14, 2011 at 6:24:36 am

Definitely good to have more than one lens. In my most bar bones kit I have a 16-35mm 50mm and 70-200, mind you I shoot on a 5D which is full frame so you will want something meant for the cropped sensor. I'd recommend getting a zoom lens that gives you a wide angle and telephoto and then later you can get more specialty lenses. My 7D has a 15-85 which is pretty good or you can get the 18-135 Check the link:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/647015-GREY/Canon_3558B002_EF_S_18_13...

In the long run it is best to get specialty lenses and primes to capture the shots they were built for but in the short run a good variable zoom lens is the best solution.

Cheers,

Errol X. Lazare
EXL Films
http://www.exlfilms.com

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 14, 2011 at 6:25:14 pm

yeah the lens you want it definitely a solid enough choice. Just be aware it's a pretty big jump from that to the lens you have so you might find yourself using one or the other but not both on the same shoot that much. But it's a nice addition so try it out.

Noah

Return to posts index

Bill Doyle
on Jul 17, 2011 at 10:33:49 pm

Ali,

You might want to consider the Canon EF-S 17-55. As Noah advised, it will avoid the hole of the 11-16 (I have that lens also), it has a constant aperture of 2.8 which is decently fast and great for video and also image stabilization. The one drawback is that it is made for the cropped sensor cameras like yours, so if you'll be moving to a 5D, it's not the way to go.

Bill

Return to posts index

Ali Hassan
on Jul 19, 2011 at 10:31:02 am

Hey!

The Cannon 17-55 is a great lens! but also comes with a huge price tag :-( and right now I cant spend that much.
But one of my friend recommended to get the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 VC as opposed to Tokina 11-16...

What do u guys think? is it a wise move to make?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Bill Doyle
on Jul 19, 2011 at 11:20:00 am

Ali,

The reviews for the non VC lens have been good and I believe there is a rebate on it currently. The main difference will be the lack of image stabilization, but if you keep that in mind while you shoot it shouldn't pose that much of a problem at those focal lengths (not a sacrifice I'd be willing to make on something like the Canon 70-200).

In general, I would always advise doing the most research on lenses as opposed to bodies. Most of the good lenses have a shelf life of at least 10 years.

Bill

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Jul 19, 2011 at 2:11:09 pm

I just came across a neat website, dofmaster.com, which provides a depth of focus calculator. So I guess I already have access to the technical answer to my question. But I would like to know what you DSLR experts think, so here it is:

What is the "minimum maximum" when you're looking at a lens? iow - for a Canon 7d, would you automatically reject a lens with a maximum aperture less than, say f/2.8? Ditto, for a full-frame camera?

Thanks.

Bob C

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]