FORUMS: list search recent posts

DSLR H264 convert

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Antoine Julien
DSLR H264 convert
on Feb 24, 2010 at 3:22:39 am

Hi people of the Internet

I just shot a corporate video with the Canon 7d ans had a few questions on my mind.

1- I usually use Mpeg Streamclip to convert my H264 files into ProRes HQ. Is it the good way or will I get better results doing it a different way.

2- My audio was recorded independantly on a zoom h4 recorder and will use pluraleyes to re-sync it aftewards. Since we shot a considerate amount of footage I was thinking of editing with my ProRes files with camera sound first, and then replace the audio on only the files i will
use in my final edit (by replacing them in my capture scratch at he end) Is it a good idea or am I heading in the wrong direction.

3- Finally, if proceed this way I will end up compressing my files a two occasions (first H264 to Pro Res, and then Pro res with camera sound to Pro res with good clean sound), am i risking losing quality in my images?
My question is actually if export (with the "export quicktime movie" option)in the same codec multiple times am I losing a lot of quality in the long run or since I am sticking with the same codec Final Cut does not compress it in any way.

Thanks in advance for your answers

Antoine

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
Re: DSLR H264 convert
on Feb 24, 2010 at 4:11:00 am

1. In my tests MPEG Streamclip about 90% as good as Compressor (and MUCH faster)

2. Sync first... much easier to do with your clapboard and slate. Plural Eyes is great... but works best when your clips and your audio run longer. trying to sync up a bunch of short edits is not desireable and will make your audio tracks a mess.

3. No need to compress again. Transcode and sync.. then edit.

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and ATS:iWork

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Feb 24, 2010 at 4:36:17 am

I would stick with Compressor - if Streamclip causes even a 10% loss as Richard stated why use it? Just encode a clip each way and see for yourself if the difference matters. I personally didn't like the results with Streamclip so I don't use it - I run everything through Compressor to Pro RES HQ.

As far as audio goes I cut the same way - cutting in clean audio as I finish sequences - it's a pain either way but why sync takes I'll never use.

You can always transcode to ProRES 444 for final master if you feel you are losing something with HQ, but I think HQ holds up pretty well.

Lance Bachelder
Southern California

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Feb 25, 2010 at 4:42:41 pm

It's not noticeable on all footage... and its MUCH MUCH faster

Both are good... and it depends upon what your needs are.

If you have all the time in the world... go for quality. If you got a deadline, go for great and free.

Author: Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and ATS:iWork

Return to posts index

Brian McCartney
on Feb 25, 2010 at 5:49:39 pm

Richard, just curious. How do you have Compressor set up on your machine? I have a quick cluster set up on my machine (8 core mac pro) and I see comparable encoding times for the same codec, frame rate, and frame size.

I do see people using MPEG Streamclip quite a bit for this kind of transcoding so I am wondering if I am missing something here.

thanks!

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Feb 26, 2010 at 1:18:22 pm

Make sure you tell MPEG Streamclip to allow multiple tasks... that will speed it up

Return to posts index

Antoine Julien
on Mar 1, 2010 at 4:01:20 pm

Thx for the answers guys

Think i will try out compressor this time.
However i'm not so familiar with it.
Do you have a good tutorial to recommend
on how to do massive batch transfer?

Thanks again

Antoine

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]