FORUMS: list search recent posts

Memory Card for 550d?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Suley Suleman
Memory Card for 550d?
on Jul 12, 2011 at 8:31:31 pm

Ok, ive just been to my first event with my Canon 550D which i got an 8gb Sandisk Extreem with and ran out of memory on my cam very quickly with very little footage. Anyway im now considering getting either 2 16gb cards or 1 32gb card. Now what im confused of is what card to get. Many seem to suggest Transcend 16GB SDHC Class 10 cards (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002WE4HE2/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&s=computers&psc=1) however they seem to have a poor write speed according to the test image they have. Im wondering what card would be good for video shooting? Any recomendations on what i should get.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Memory Card for 550d?
on Jul 12, 2011 at 9:51:59 pm

Sandisk Class 10s would be fine- I like that brand the best. And definitely go 16 or 32. I like 16 because they're a bit cheaper and force me to change and confirm footage is coming across ok more often. But if you're not paranoid like me- 32 is also good.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
on Jul 13, 2011 at 7:52:04 am

Got a couple of 16GB Class 10 cards and they work perfectly with my T2i. Even with good Class 6 cards I had no problems...

I'd rather get two 16GB cards than one 32GB card for similar reasons as Noah. Cards do fail sometimes and if your 32GB cards gets corrupted you'll lose about 100min. of footage other than 50min. of footage with a failed 16GB card...

------------------------------------------
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot." - Buster Keaton

Return to posts index

Suley Suleman
on Jul 13, 2011 at 8:07:19 am

Thanks for that, what brands have you used and found more stable? Just looking at the Sandisk they seem a little expensive but want to see whats a suitable alternative so i have my options. I think 2 x 16gb is the better way to go

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
on Jul 13, 2011 at 9:25:36 am

I use SanDisk but I know a lot of people who use Transcend cards and never experienced any trouble.

Return to posts index

Phil Balsdon
on Jul 13, 2011 at 10:32:26 am

Purchase the best quality cards you can. If a card fails with irreplaceable footage on it, or fails to record when you roll on an unrepeatable event the value of the loss may well be worth more than your entire camera kit.

Good cards will last a long time if treated carefully so saving a dollars on a "bargain card" may turn out be very expensive.

I have four Sandisk Extreme cards in my kit 2 x 32Gb and 2 x 16Gb.

I'm currently on a shoot interviewing people. The interviews run about 45mins to 1 hour plus some overlay footage. Each subject fits well on a 32Gb card which makes archiving and workflow in post easy. 16Gb is good for most average shoots though.

Cinematographer, Steadicam Operator, Final Cut Pro Post Production.
http://philming.com.au
http://www.steadi-onfilms.com.au/

Return to posts index

Suley Suleman
on Jul 13, 2011 at 12:44:09 pm

Thanks the sandisk extreem's seem to be the ones i guess, the transend have a poor write rate from what i can see, unless quality varys for the class 10 cards. Anyway what class sandisk are u using? I have seen some Sandisk Video Extreem HD which write at 20mb which seems afordable but dont seem to be class 10, more class 6?

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
on Jul 13, 2011 at 1:56:42 pm

Canon recommends class 6 cards. I had (very) cheap class 10 cards that stopped under critical conditions (mostly with high ISOs) and I had good class 4 cards that worked most of the time quite well. So, if you want to get shure, get class 10 cards.
Be shure to format your cards after copying the clips to your computer rather than just deleting them. Deleting sometimes causes trouble with writing speed.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]