FORUMS: list search recent posts

Music Copyright Question

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Don Scrams
Music Copyright Question
on Jul 11, 2011 at 2:34:16 am

I was wondering if anyone had any info/links to official docs regarding the use of copyrighted music in online, non-commercial videos. I am wanting to use some music in some pieces I am going to edit and post online and wanted to know if/how I could go about this.

Something along the lines of this, http://www.vimeo.com/26078103 which uses copyrighted music but there are no music credits

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
Re: Music Copyright Question
on Jul 11, 2011 at 2:52:35 am

Unless you are a student, and you are using it in a class exercise.

People break rules all the time... Doesn't mean its right nor that you won't be sued for lots of money.

Copyright.gov

YouTube has option to re-sync popular music tracks... but your video is silent when uploaded and ads pop-up for downloads

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: From Still to Motion, Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and Motion Graphics with Adobe Creative Suite 5 Studio Techniques

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 11, 2011 at 5:20:41 am

People do it all the time. Not legal by any means and you risk getting sued. but simply it's so prevalent that some folks get away with it for a time. Not really worth it for anything though...

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

André Engelhardt
on Jul 11, 2011 at 12:04:51 pm

Simple answer is you're not allowed to do what you describe! If you want to use copyrighted music you have to license it. Much easier, faster and cheaper would be to use stock music from one of the many stock music companies out there. It will also make your work a bit more original as it's "not that song again".

--
Audio Engineer, Sound Designer
Video- and Photographer
http://www.andreengelhardt.net

Return to posts index

Don Scrams
on Jul 11, 2011 at 4:08:11 pm

Thanks for the link Richard, I will definitley check that out.

Much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 12, 2011 at 12:40:55 am

Heh- don't schools get sued for this too? I'm thinking I'm a student doesn't really make a difference either. You get caught- you are breaking the law.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jul 13, 2011 at 10:30:17 pm

I find copyrighted music distracting. I was sent a demo reel with some music from a Hollywood movie. I spent the time thinking about the movie and not the demo. They didn't get the job.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 14, 2011 at 12:26:29 am

Sometimes it makes a good reel great. Then again I know a lot of producers who watch reels with the sound off- talking mostly animation/colorist but there ya go.

Noah

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jul 14, 2011 at 12:35:53 am

Noah, Depending on the music, (if it is U2 or some mega band) I personally focus on the fact that they most likely didn't purchase the music, those stole it. Do I want to hire that type of person that might steal other things?

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 14, 2011 at 2:59:07 am

Heh- you're a tough hombre. No I don't think of the person as untrustworthy because they stole music. Now if the video concluded with first person footage of a bank robbery I'd be a little more alarmed.

Noah

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jul 14, 2011 at 2:19:52 pm

One more thing from the tough hombre. :-)

I think people are cheating themselves if they feel that this copyrighted song is the only song that will work for their project. I would like to bring up an example where budget restraints created a better solution. Doug Liman did not have the budget he wanted for Mr. and Mrs. Smith. The neighborhood scene where Mr. Smith trips on the fence and accidentally almost shoots his wife is a great one and added a lot to the movie. It was originally supposed to be this big budget car chase scene that the studio would not pay for. Instead we ended up with this very simple scene that brought so much more to the movie. Limitations can help you find better solutions. Alright, the stiff is jumping off of his soap box.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Jul 14, 2011 at 9:41:39 pm

Try looking at it from the musician's perspective. So it's ok to take away the musician's livelyhood by pirating his music to make you look good. I'll bet if some of your footage showed up on someone else's demo reel you'd scream bloody murder. Just another view from someone who's both an animator/designer and a musician.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jul 14, 2011 at 9:45:22 pm

Joseph,
Great point.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Ronn Kilby
on Aug 23, 2011 at 4:04:07 pm

Once when I was an art director, I was interviewing a kid for a graphic artist position. He had a great portfolio. In fact it included a gorgeous print piece. Unfortunately, it was one I HAD DESIGNED 3 years previous. Turns out he worked at the printing company where I'd had it printed. He was a stripper, burning plates for the press. Apparently he saved the stuff he really liked and put it in his "design" portfolio. I played dumb and asked where he got the idea for the design. He totally BS'd me. I didn't say a word. But as you can imagine, he didn't get the job.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Aug 23, 2011 at 4:35:29 pm

That is just to funny.

When I worked at a local TV station they would bring you into an edit bay hand you a script and some tapes and say, "I'll be back in 30 minutes." They gave everyone the same script and tapes so you would get a real good idea as to what they can and can't do.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]