FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mic for Canon 550d?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Suley Suleman
Mic for Canon 550d?
on Jul 1, 2011 at 3:18:32 pm

Hey Guys, im kind of almost used to my canon 550d. Im almost ready for my first live project and need to get some kind of mic.

Basically my use for video will be interviews with an artist either sat / stood. I will be using the 50mm lens so how ever far that is in terms of where the DSLR is placed and where the subject is im not sure.

I am looking for a microphone which would be good for live environments and closed rooms. You can see most of our past stuff on http://bit.ly/lrKH0m most of the shots there are on a samsung camcorder with poor audio but it gives you an idea of our usual settings.

I am trying to work out what would be a great ideal mic for me, ideally im thinking either hand held or attached. Im told by some to get the Rode Video Mic but im not sure how well it handles being attached to the camera? Im not sure if its detachable? I have also been told to consider the mke400 which dosent look as good to me. Another member on this forum sugested i get Shure SM63L and SM63LB ($151 and $136 U.S., black being less expensive on Amazon.com.), Shure VP64AL ($82.59 U.S. @ B&H Photo.). He advised they are xlr based products. Im kind of confused what would be good and what is not. I would appreciate if you guys could help me decide. We don’t have anyone who can mix the sound avalible and don’t have a large budget for the microphone either.

Ideally we need to order something by Sunday since we have an event at the House of Commons in a weeks time

Thanks

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Mic for Canon 550d?
on Jul 1, 2011 at 6:28:32 pm

Do you want an on-camera mic= sucky but better than built-in. Or a boom mic or a lav mic? And how much to spend?

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

Suley Suleman
on Jul 1, 2011 at 7:17:25 pm

Im looking for either a boom mic or handheld/lavier mic. My budget is around £130ish.

Return to posts index

John Oldham
on Jul 18, 2011 at 3:02:55 pm

I would definitely advise buying an XLR based mic and the best quality you can buy is Sennheiser in my opinion. You can get a beechtech adapter to provide the best quality sound levels using an XLR mic, however we have just finished a shoot using the Sennheiser We112 radio mic which we plugged directly into the cannon and with a mini jack cable.....a little messing with the audio levels on the camera (note you need the firmware update to do this) and you can get excellent quality sound very simply.

I would not advise straying from Sennheiser or Sony if you want the top level of sound quality, these XLR mics are used in TV production and will serve you well, although they will be a little more expensive than some of the others mentioned above

Corporate Video Manchester

Return to posts index

Suley Suleman
on Jul 18, 2011 at 4:19:37 pm

Thanks, that's very helpfull. What firmware would I need and any link to possibly? Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]