FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon 5D vs. 60D

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
lara popyack
Canon 5D vs. 60D
on Jun 27, 2011 at 12:15:05 am

Why would you choose one over the other if they both do the same thing? Price seems really different.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Canon 5D vs. 60D
on Jun 27, 2011 at 4:22:12 am

ha ha- you're kidding right? Yes they are both cameras from Canon that shoot video but other than that these are very different cameras with very different specs. Try this:

http://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/side-by-side?products=canon_eos5dm...

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Jason Myres
on Jun 27, 2011 at 8:01:20 am

The biggest difference is that the 5D has a full-frame, 35mm equivalent sensor, and the 60D has an APS-C, or cropped (read: smaller) sensor. This allows the 5D to have better low-light capabilities, and it will produce less noise at equivalent ISOs than the 60D. That being said, the 60D is no slouch and has the same video capabilities as the 7D, which is also very popular, for quite a bit less, and includes a very good tilt LCD that can be very helpful when shooting.

Beyond that, going with a Full Frame or APS-C sensor may change your lens selection a bit. Lots of lenses out there, but you'll need to make sure the ones you intend to use are compatible with the camera you ultimately decide to go with. Due to the nature of your question, I'd imagine it would be good for you to start with the 60D, and progress from there. The 5DII is due for a refresh fairly soon anyway, so it may be good to wait if you decide that's the one you want.

JM

Return to posts index

Phil Balsdon
on Jun 27, 2011 at 11:00:50 am

The 5D has 1080p @ 24, 25 or 30fps.

The 60D has 1080p 24, 25 or 30fps and 720p @ 50 or 60fps. If you want to do slow motion this is useful.

The 60D APS-C sensor size is very similar to Super 35mm film movie frame size, so depth of field characteristics are similar. The 5D is larger so at the same f stop depth of field is lower, offering softer backgrounds, some people like this but in practical terms focusing can be more difficult.

The 60D has a flip out rotatable viewfinder, very useful for situations when the camera is not at your eye level.

One more possible thing, the recent Zacuto Great Camera Shootout shows the 7D with a stop better contrast range at the high end than the 5D. I found this a little difficult to believe but the tests showed it clearly. The 7D and 60D (they didn't test the 60D) are apparently technically identical in processing.

If you are shooting mainly stills the 5D will give better results. For video the 60D maybe more practical.
Save money on the body (which will be superseded by new technology reasonably quickly) and spend the savings on good lenses which will last many years.

Cinematographer, Steadicam Operator, Final Cut Pro Post Production.
http://philming.com.au
http://www.steadi-onfilms.com.au/

Return to posts index

Buddy Couch
on Jun 28, 2011 at 12:22:18 am

I had this same question, and I did some in depth research. Phil is correct on all points made imo. I went with 60D instead of 7D pretty much because of the flip out screen, processor is newer line, not to mention cost. Check out the website below which gives you a very good direct comparison between the two and pretty much gives 60D the nod. Also you can buy a nice lens for the price difference. What many do not realize (not saying you do not) is that glass is WAY more important than box. Box will last 3 to 5 , but lens will be there for 10 to 15.

I have Sigma 2.8 70-200. Its a monster lens, but I wanted 2.8 across the zoom in addition to a good zoom in general. It makes some fantastic videos and shoots superb photos. BTW the most important part about the flip out to me is not the fact that I can shoot at low/high angles. Protection of my amazing screen :). Sure I can put clear cover on it, but who wants to ruin their beautiful screen by doing that. I am confident when I close it, that my screen is fully protected until next use.

Buddy C

Return to posts index

Phil Balsdon
on Jun 28, 2011 at 3:51:21 am

And of course the 60D has manual control of audio levels, something not possible on the 7D (unfortunately).

Cinematographer, Steadicam Operator, Final Cut Pro Post Production.
http://philming.com.au
http://www.steadi-onfilms.com.au/

Return to posts index

Buddy Couch
on Jun 28, 2011 at 8:18:31 pm

Yes, that is probably the main reason for me going with 60D, besides the newer internals and flip out screen. Not to mention cost.

Buddy

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Jun 29, 2011 at 4:51:13 am

5D Full Sensor
7D & 60D Cropped Sensor

7D & 60D better video controls
5D better in low light, better depth of field control

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

Trip Nixon
on Jun 29, 2011 at 2:00:35 pm

I really don't understand a lot of people not mentioning this flip screen. I read so many reviews comparing all the different DSLR cameras...and people just lightly mention about it. I live and die by the flip screen....maybe its just me, and never having actually done full on videography business with a camera without...but, I couldnt imagine the wear and tear my knees would take going to the ground all the time...especially runnin and gunnin...whether it be with the black rapid or monopod...or even low slider shots.

I guess the only real argument would be people who use an external LCD...but I find that would be a different situation than many videographers face in normal LIVE event or run n gun shooting.

The 5d is noticeably better quality video...but...i'm also starting to develop a small pet-peeve for this super sharp video that is the fad right now. Looks damn good...but I wonder if we wont look back at the 2008-20XX years as the years of over sharp video. Now, all that being said...good control in post is everything...and you can make your video look anyway you want...but, I feel like the BENEFIT of the 5d (besides low light)...with some L glass...is that SUPER sharp image you get...

...so the 60d...its a hell of a camera in my opinion. I picked up 3 of them for my company...and its nice to know that if one of my cameraman drops the darn thing...I can pick up another without breaking the bank.

Return to posts index

Buddy Couch
on Jun 30, 2011 at 10:21:13 pm

If you want to do video, at the moment I give 60D the nod. When 7D and 5D get their upgrades, I will certainly purchase a 5D. The few options that are better are not worth 2,000 in my opinion (for video). Pictures are entirely different beast all together.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]