FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon 550D Post Production?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Suley Suleman
Canon 550D Post Production?
on Jun 25, 2011 at 8:39:05 pm

Ok guys, ive had a week playing with my canon 550d, still got lots to learn but have got the basics on shooting. I shot a clip while i was sat in the room with just some natural lighting coming in from a window so was dull. Now when i played it on my laptop i didnt like (too much noise in my view) it however following rendering it on sony vegas and uploading it to vimeo it looks not bad (http://vimeo.com/25600450)

Anyway i usually use sony vegas to edit clips in, it seems easiyer for some of the non techy staff who dont like using Adobe Premiere and stuff. I was wondering firstly since my footage played straight into sony vegas (probably as i have quicktime pro and a load of codecs installed) do i need to run the steps here http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/20/865470

Secondly looking at the vimeo clip what would you say would be video wise a good way to clean up and make it look more polished and clean. Ideally im looking for the quickest way (which im sure you have all heard before). Now ive been looking at what could be done and a friend recomended Newblue's colour correction plus pack 1 while another said go for pack 2 and the noise reduction shall sort alot of it out. At the end of the day im not fussed about getting the additional software, i just need something easy to use and also some kind of idea as to what typically i should use use for post production as my older clips i have just exported straight out of vegas with not much post production.

Thanks
suley

P.s if u need the negative footage, let me know ill upload it

Return to posts index

Sohrab Sandhu
Re: Canon 550D Post Production?
on Jun 26, 2011 at 1:44:16 am

Can you please give more details about your camera settings i.e ISO, aperture, shutter speed.

Clean video is all about shooting with better techniques rather than post production work.

Sohrab

2.66 GHz 8-core, ATI Radeon HD 4870,
FCS 3, AJA Kona Lhi

"The creative person wants to be a know-it-all. He wants to know about all kinds of things: ancient history, nineteenth-century mathematics, current manufacturing techniques, flower arranging, and hog futures. Because he never knows when these ideas might come together to form a new idea. It may happen six minutes later or six months, or six years down the road. But he has faith that it will happen." -- Carl Ally

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Jun 26, 2011 at 4:09:33 pm

I can't give any advice on Premier or Vegas but a few production tips:

1. Don't use auto focus - unless it is being done for a very specific artistic reason watching the camera hunt for focus isn't very interesting and also it's very noisy.

2. Use an external microphone - one of the reasons we can hear all the adjustments to the camera you are making is because you didn't use on

3. You probably could have opened up your aperture more to let in some more light ...always film in full manual so that you have absolute control

4. Were you using a tripod? It's important that the footage be less shaky.

Why not go and try and film a short sequence or "story" - could be as simple as someone making breakfast in your kitchen. That will allow us to give you better feedback.

5. Use your 50mm lens, 95% of the time and only use your kit lens zoom when you really really have to for some specific reason.

Return to posts index

Suley Suleman
on Jun 26, 2011 at 5:41:38 pm

Thanks, this was just me sat in a seat opersite and i decided to run a test between the 2 lens and see how the footage came out so it was hand held. (here is a pic of the image no flash http://i53.tinypic.com/2yywjky.jpg) The canon went into auto mode - i have now worked out how to disable. im not sure how to disable and change iso or apature while in video mode, i press iso and nothing comes up. Im in the process of trying to get a mic, working out if to get rodeo videomic or get a handheld mic. Out of intrest what are the main settings i should look to change on the camara based on the scene, im presuming the wheel which controls the speed is one settings correct.

Thanks
Suley

Return to posts index

Buddy Couch
on Jun 30, 2011 at 10:34:17 pm

You need to go into menu and disable movie exposure. This will get you into manual mode for video, then you can press ISO and change :).

Buddy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]