FORUMS: list search recent posts

Editing Nikon D7000 footage in FCP7

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chuck Purnell
Editing Nikon D7000 footage in FCP7
on Jun 22, 2011 at 7:24:21 am

I experienced something weird tonight while trying to edit some footage shot with a Nikon D7000 in 720p/30 mode. When I opened the clips in the browser is played fine on my computer screen and on my external monitor. After I ran the clips through Pluraleyes to sync up the audio the video did not play at all on my computer but it played fine on the external monitor. I had to render the footage in order to get it to play back on the computer again with no frozen image! Weird huh? The only thing I can think of is am I supposed to convert the files over to Apple ProRes 422 before importing into FCP? The files coming out of the Nikon D7000 are .mov files and I assumed could be imported right into FCP 7 to begin editing...My sequence settings were set to Apple ProRes 720p 29.97

Im gonna play around some more and try to figure this out.

Cre8tive Minds Entertainment, LLC

Return to posts index

Nigel Thompson
Re: Editing Nikon D7000 footage in FCP7
on Jul 23, 2011 at 3:15:20 am

The files on the D7000 Are h.264 .mov files. FCP7 does not like h.264 files for editing. Yes you need to transcode the files to a format thats compatible with FCP7 . prores is definitely an option and may very well be the best one but you should know the final output for your project and what codec will fit your needs best.

That said .. i own a D7000 which i love dearly, there are a few quirks but i live with them. I use MPEG STREAM CLIP to transcode to Prores 422 or 422HQ depending on what im doing.

High End, Production & Post Production
in the Caribbean
http://www.bistt.com

Return to posts index

Nick Weingartner
on Sep 20, 2011 at 7:41:48 pm

How do you do this? My D7000 footage is taking FOREVER to render, even when I just move it. How do I convert it to ProRes? Please help.

Return to posts index

Nigel Thompson
on Sep 20, 2011 at 8:16:37 pm

mpegStreamClip

http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-mac.html

Its a free download, works beautifully. use the batch feature to do multiple clips at a time.

High End, Production & Post Production
in the Caribbean
http://www.bistt.com

Return to posts index

Chuck Purnell
on Sep 21, 2011 at 3:33:05 am

I always use MPEG Stream Clip to convert my files. Mpeg Streamclip is a FREE download. You select Batch List from the top menu. Locate your SD card reader and select all your video files. Then choose a Destination folder on your hard drive where you want the converted files to go. When the next screen pops up, Select Apple ProRes in the Compression settings drop down menu and then slide your quality setting all the way over to 100%. Choose the resolution you want and uncheck Interlace Scaling, then click To Batch. Once its completed, imported that entire folder into FCP and then you will be able to edit the footage.

Watch this youtube video to see exactly what I just explained if your still confused. Even though the title states a Canon camera, the workflow still applies for any DSLR camera.

Cre8tive Minds Entertainment, LLC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]