FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shutter speed different than fps

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eddie Gonzalez
Shutter speed different than fps
on Jun 21, 2011 at 4:38:56 am

Does either Canon 7D or 5D allow for the fps to be different than the shutter speed. Id like to capture HD video at 59.94 fps while shutter speed is @ 1/120. Or 24fps while shutter @ 1/120

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
Re: Shutter speed different than fps
on Jun 21, 2011 at 7:55:11 am

See here: http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/280/6489 ;)

Yes it's possible with both cams!

Return to posts index

Eddie Gonzalez
on Jun 21, 2011 at 5:38:13 pm

Peter, in that post in that link there's a comment that makes me put a question mark on the response. Because it says

"...even has 48fps for 24p video.."

But isn't 24p defined as being 23.976fps. So therefore if someone is shooting at 48fps then it can't be considered 24p.

Perhaps you meant to say 1/48 shutter speed while shooting 24p which is 23.976fps. In my question, I'm specifically talking about the difference between fps and shutter speed. Those two concepts are not one in the same. In theory, the shutter speed can be much faster than the fps.

So that's why I didn't have sufficient confidence in that response and still would like confirmation. Did you mean to say that while shooting at 23.976fps you can set your shutter speed at 1/48 ?

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
on Jun 21, 2011 at 7:48:22 pm

Sorry for that, Eddie! My fault!

You're absolutely right. What I meant is: 1/48 shutterspeed with 24p (which is 23,976 fps).

Return to posts index

Buddy Couch
on Jun 26, 2011 at 3:14:34 pm

On a canon you cannot do 1/48 shutter speed. It has to be 1/50th.

Buddy C

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
on Jun 26, 2011 at 7:53:47 pm

[Buddy Couch] "On a canon you cannot do 1/48 shutter speed. It has to be 1/50th."

You can. With "Magic Lantern" :)

------------------------------------------
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot." - Buster Keaton

Return to posts index

Buddy Couch
on Jun 27, 2011 at 12:00:51 am

Well this is true, but that is a firmware hack :). Also they didn't have that out for 60D until recently I believe. I have considered doing it myself, but with 60D manual audio controls (reason I would do it on say other cameras to disable AGC) wasn't really needed I didn't think. Haven't researched all of the benefits of it yet.

Buddy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]