Canon 7D & Rode VideoMic Pro

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frank Giardina
Canon 7D & Rode VideoMic Pro
on Jun 19, 2011 at 11:16:20 pm

Hi...

Happy Fathers Day for all the Dads.

I bought a Rode VideoMic Pro to use with my 7D. I'm not having great results... does anyone have any advise, be it on camera use or post.

Thanks!!!

Frank Giardina
17 Video Production

Return to posts index

Daniel Hughes
Re: Canon 7D & Rode VideoMic Pro
on Jun 19, 2011 at 11:27:06 pm

The 7D has Automatic Gain Control. There is a hiss and the noise floor rises and falls depending on the instantaneous environmental noise levels. The fact that it changes constantly is extremely irritating.

I recommend getting an external recorder (Tascam, Zoom H1/H4N) to record with your external mic to control levels and prevent hiss. Use a clapperboard to synchronise the audio with video in post.

I believe, with this, you'll be on the Rode to success!

Alternatively you could try Magic Lantern firmware hack that allows you to disable AGC and control your gain, but this will invalidate your warranty (I believe) and may bring problems to your camera.

Daniel Hughes
Amateur Writer, Director,
Director of Photography
United Kingdom

Return to posts index

Frank Giardina
on Jun 19, 2011 at 11:32:32 pm

Hi Daniel...

You pretty much confirmed what I was expecting. I have the Zoom H1 actually. I was hoping to eliminate extra work in post, that's why I picked up the Rode... so much for that.

Thanks Man!!!

Frank Giardina
17 Video Production

Return to posts index

Danny Grizzle
on Jun 20, 2011 at 2:56:40 am

You cannot fix poor audio recording in post.

The only way to record good audio is to position the mic close to the sound source.

Period, end of story.

Everything else -- what recorder you use, what microphone you buy -- is a footnote to the fundamental facts above.

Return to posts index

Phil Balsdon
on Jun 20, 2011 at 9:26:00 am

A Beachtek DXA-SLR will help control the AGC control level fluctuations in the 7D. However the audio recording abilities of any HDSLR are not prime quality, you need to record on another device and use dual system. (Juice also make something similar).

The Zoom H1 is not really the answer because it doesn't have external xlr mike inputs, you need a Zoom H4n or Tascam DR-100.

Mike placement is also important, use a lavalier or shotgun mike placed close to the speaker. Using a top mounted mike is not desirable for quality interview recording.

Cinematographer, Steadicam Operator, Final Cut Pro Post Production.
http://philming.com.au
http://www.steadi-onfilms.com.au/

Return to posts index

Buddy Couch
on Jun 28, 2011 at 12:03:03 am

I think it really depends on what your after, look at the link below and listen to the bottom two.

My ears do not detect a huge amount of difference when using Rode Videomic on both. On board mics, sure there is some difference. How much you do you want to put into is the question for quality gained. Do you here 200 dollars worth of difference in the bottom two? I am not saying the H4n isn't better or even the Tascam DR100. Just pointing out bang for buck. Many people want to talk about the build quality of H1. My argument for that is I take extreme care with my equipment and do not just toss it into a bucket when I am done. Sure I could drop it, but I could also drop H4n on its XY mics as well. Plus portability of H1 is extremely nice.

H4n vs H1 article/

Return to posts index

Phil Balsdon
on Jun 28, 2011 at 3:58:23 am

My apologies, I was unaware you could use an external mic with H1, this is a big plus. Guess I looked and didn't see XLR inputs and wrongly assumed so.

Cinematographer, Steadicam Operator, Final Cut Pro Post Production.
http://philming.com.au
http://www.steadi-onfilms.com.au/

Return to posts index

Buddy Couch
on Jun 28, 2011 at 8:21:26 pm

Ya it lacks the XLR inputs, but you can do external mic input. My main issue is growth factor. Its great to have a few of the H1s to sit around a shoot to capture "everything", so that you have it for post. As far as main audio, I would probably have to say H4n if you were choosing between the two. As far as being able to grow into more advanced recording that is.

Buddy C

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]