FORUMS: list search recent posts

Which lens for video canon 550d

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Suley Suleman
Which lens for video canon 550d
on Jun 17, 2011 at 8:43:09 pm

Ok, im getting the base on its own and now need to get some lens for video. Ive been looking around trying to learn and see what are good lens, ive worked out the DSLR does not have image stabalisation, im not sure how important it is saying most shots would be on a tripd or a hand held at worst but its for interviews etc and not anything serious.

I went down the list at http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/reviews/best_canon_eos_lenses.html under the under £300 list as i have a budget of around £120 for the lens, so the contenders i think are;

Canon EF 28-105mm F/4-5.6
Sigma 28-70mm f2.8-4 DG
Canon EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS (im sure thats the basic one that comes with the 550d that ive been told is useless)
CANON EF 50mm f/1.8 MK II
CANON EF 28-80mm III USM
Canon EF-S IS 55-250 mm

I would apreciate if you guys could tell me which u think are good for my aplication, if i have missed anything you think falls in the range feel free to tell me what it is. If you think a few are fine then please provide in rank.
Thanks

Suley

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: Which lens for video canon 550d
on Jun 17, 2011 at 10:31:42 pm

The only one I'd get on that list is the 50mm 1.8 which should sell for about $100...now on the T2i because of the 1.6x crop factor it will act like a 80mm which means if you are filming groups or 2-4 people in an interview session, you will have to move back a fair distance in order to fit everyone in - but so what. It's a nice fast lens often called "the nifty 50" or the "plastic 50" because of its feel however you can get excellent shallow depth of field (hmmmm...yummy!) and very good low light performance with that lens.

Return to posts index

Michal Trzaska
on Jun 18, 2011 at 4:09:00 am

The 50 f1.8 is a good buy, it is really really hard to ride the focus on it because of there the ring is located. I love going out at night and shooting video in the city and that lens is amazing for it.

I would stay away from zoom lenses for doing video with your DSLR, if you must get a zoom make sure it is not a variable aperture. Unfortunately the fixed-aperture will make the lens more expensive.

Prime is the way to go tho for video.

Out of my lenses I like my Nikon the best, I use it with a canon mount adapter. The build is solid, the focus ring is rubber and easy to find, and the price was amazing.

The list of lenses you have I would go for the 50, the rest ummmm not so much. Also look into prime manual Nikon lenses absolutely amazing for video DSLR use.

here are a few good articles:
http://cheesycam.com/the-cheaper-road-to-a-lens-with-f1-2/
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=RootPage.jsp&KW=&A=getpag...

Michal Trzaska
Editor, Colorist, Director of Photography, VFX Artist and Motion Graphics Artist
MeHow Design
TV Commercials for your Google TV ads. Web Videos that get results

2011 Demo

Return to posts index

Suley Suleman
on Jun 18, 2011 at 8:23:56 am

Thanks for that, im thinging 50mm is a must now, im presuming u mean NIKON 50mm f1.8 NIKKOR AIS, they do look good, both seem of the same price which would you recomend? Also ill need one more any you would recomend with Image stablised canon or i think nicons equivalant is Vibration Reduction just thinking if i go hand held for anything just need a lens that would be great.

P.s thanks for the links and all your contributions :)

Return to posts index

Michal Trzaska
on Jun 18, 2011 at 10:36:43 pm

If you go with a Nikon lens you will also need an adapter, $10-$35. The Nikon do have a solid build and a better focus ring.

But also canon will have a direct link to your camera, you will have the auto focus if you want to snap some photos in a rush. So ya it is a hard call.

Ok rather then make this easier on you and giving you a straight answer I'll make things a little more complicated with this link, SORRY!

http://dslrvideoshooter.com/fd-lenses-for-hdslr-use/
Great intro video explaining FD lenses for a cheep, unfortunately this option has cons too.

Michal Trzaska
Editor, Colorist, Director of Photography, VFX Artist and Motion Graphics Artist
MeHow Design
TV Commercials for your Google TV ads. Web Videos that get results

2011 Demo

Return to posts index

Buddy Couch
on Jun 30, 2011 at 10:56:32 pm

My partner uses the 50mm 1.8 on Nikon and he swears by it, I however use 70-200 sigma 2.8 on 60D. I love that lens, but its not cheap and weighs more than my car almost :). My next lens will be the 28mm 1.8. I need it for close up type shots, but also lower light shots (photo or video) . Let me know your results if you don't mind. I would love to hear how your new lens works out.

Would really love to hear from anyone who has used the 28mm 1.8.

Buddy C

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]