FORUMS: list search recent posts

Batch converting footage with slo-mo

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gardner Raymond
Batch converting footage with slo-mo
on Jun 17, 2011 at 6:01:23 pm

Hello,
We've only recently starting working a lot with footage shot on a Canon 5D and 60D. Obviously, it needs to be converted before being edited in FCP. What we're having trouble with is getting the footage that was shot at 60 to properly play back in slow motion (24 timeline).

First, just for info sake, we're converting the h264 footage to ProRes (not HQ) using MPEGStreamclip or Magic Bullet Grinder.
What we'd like to do is batch convert all the footage at once (similar to doing the Log & Transfer with P2 footage), having all the clips come out of the process playing back properly - stuff shot in 24 at 24, stuff shot in 60 playing back slow-mo. Doing this with MPEG Streamclip results in all of the clips, wether shot at 24 or 60, playing back at 24. No good. Doing it in Grinder, if you select the Conform Frame Rate to 23.976, it will accomplish what we want, however, it takes about 2.5 times longer than MPEGStr, and the file sizes are HUGE (56MB 1280x720 60fps converted into a 351MB file).

I know that I can bring the clips shot at 60 into Cinema Tools and conform them, or do the same thing in After Effects, but this requires knowing which clips were shot at 60 and which were not. We're shooting lots of sporting events, switching back and forth between 24 and 60 constantly, and then many times turning around an edit within hours of the event, so the Cinema Tools/AE workflow will really cost us a lot of time.

So, after my long post, does anyone have any ideas on how to batch convert all my files at once, with my 24fps footage playing back at 24, and my 60fps footage, well, also playing back at 24?

Thanks very much

Gardner

Return to posts index

Gardner Raymond
Re: Batch converting footage with slo-mo
on Jun 20, 2011 at 5:10:58 pm

anyone have any ideas? no? Bueller?

Return to posts index

jeremy foley
Re: Batch converting footage with slo-mo
on Oct 27, 2011 at 5:08:33 pm

hey hows it going, Im having a similar problem, Im trying to convert my SLR footage from 60 to 24 so it will play back Slo Mo using MPEG stream clip but so far it isn't working.

Ive tried making the frame rate different but its still not looking quite right (too jittery) did you ever find a solution.

I think I have cinema tools but still don't know how to do it. Any info you can provide will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Jer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]