FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cinestyle grading issue t2i

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dylan Hargreaves
Cinestyle grading issue t2i
on Jun 15, 2011 at 2:50:40 pm

Hi all,

I've just installed the cinestyle profile on my t2i and some test shots have thrown up an unusual moire issue in the grade.

Camera settings:

t2i set to cinestyle
Tamron 17-50mm lens @f11, shutter @50 (pal) ISO @200

The scene was just some desk clutter by an open window in daylight. Nothing fancy.

The image out of the camera was as you'd expect: flat and desaturated. No apparent moire issues. But when graded in both Color and with Colorista in FCP, the midtone shadows got this crazy moire artefacting on pretty flat, clean surfaces - where you wouldn't normally expect to find moire.

As the image out of the camera was clean, I'm assuming it's not an issue with the lens. (I could be wrong though!). So is it something to do with my Cinestyle settings? (They were left on the default install settings), or is it something with Cinestyle itself - the way it handles shadows in the midrange?

Any thoughts or theories much appreciated!

Return to posts index

Bob Pierce
Re: Cinestyle grading issue t2i
on Jun 18, 2011 at 2:35:49 pm

Did you turn down the sharpening, as recommended by technicolor? That may exacerbate the moire. As far as I can tell the aliasing in cinestyle is the same as always: terrible. These cameras have awful aliasing problems, especially in deep focus wide angle shots. It amazes me that people tend to understate how bad it is. It is especially bad in 720p.
Bob Pierce

Return to posts index

Dylan Hargreaves
on Jun 20, 2011 at 1:40:17 pm

Thanks Bob,

Will have a play with the sharpness settings but very surprised to hear that the loudly trumpeted Cinestyle is actually moire-hell. Think I'll just carry on with the camera's standard settings dialled down.

Return to posts index

Bob Pierce
on Jun 20, 2011 at 9:16:47 pm

Cinestyle is great - it's the camera that makes the moire. The sensor is line-skipped to downconvert to HD resolution, which leaves great gaps in the image resulting in jaggy edges along lines. Nothing can be done about it. Check out this great video from fxguide about the cinestyle. It includes an interview with the guy from technicolor that created it...

http://www.fxguide.com/fxguidetv/fxguidetv-111-technicolor-cinestyle-examin...

http://www.lightstreamassociates.com

Mac Pro 2.66 - 8GB memory -
Mac Book Pro 2.33 Duo -
FC Studio 2 - Kona Lhe
Adobe Production Suite CS4 -
Sony Multiformat 14" - Panasonic 42" Plasma -
Ikegami HLDV7 - PVW EX-1

Return to posts index

Dylan Hargreaves
on Jun 21, 2011 at 11:04:20 am

We may be getting our moires mixed up. The type of moire that cinestyle produced on my quick test was the green and red noise in the midtone shadows rather than jaggies or that weird strobing effect you get when pointing the camera at a brick wall.

As the standard settings didn't produce the moire when I tested it out on the same shot, it does leave me to conclude it's something to do with Cinestyle, but cheers for the link. I'll check it out!

Return to posts index

Bob Pierce
on Jun 21, 2011 at 1:20:08 pm

Oh, I see. After you installed the cinestyle preset, you need to adjust your camera's custom settings manually (it's detailed in the video). Please post back when you resolve your issue.
Good luck,
Bob

Return to posts index

Dylan Hargreaves
on Jun 21, 2011 at 2:46:51 pm

Hey,

So I've done another little test. Pretty much the same set up. The picture sharpness the first time was dialled all the way down, however, after watching a blog on fxguide about cinestyle, I dialled it in to +2.

The camera's standard picture set up produced no moire at all, but obviously at the expense of the flat grade you can take anywhere.

The out-of-the-camera cinestyle was perhaps not as clean, but certainly smooth enough to the naked eye as to not be too noticeable.

The graded cinestyle was again, quite noisy in the midtone shadows, although not as noisy as the first test.
I think the problem is pushing the gain in the grade beyond where cinestyle wants it to go. However, as I do a lot of shooting in xdcam conformed to pro-res, I'm used to there being quite a lot more latitude in the grade than there appears to be in cinestyle.

Not too sure what to make of this. I deliberately underexposed the cinestyle by a stop or two to maintain the highlights but if the resulting picture then requires more of a boost in the grade to compensate, where's the sweet spot?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]