FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best MPEG STREAMCLIP codec for feature FILM

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
eldete productions
Best MPEG STREAMCLIP codec for feature FILM
on Jun 13, 2011 at 2:16:05 pm

I'm very deep into filming a documentary entirely on DSLR....It's a pain.

The film will be shown primarily online and on DVD's but we plan to do showings in movie theaters as well.

I'm wondering the best codec from RAW in mpeg streamclip

I know prores is the best but I find it extremely difficult to edit. Most of my work is online based and Ive always used xdcam ex 1080p 24 and editing is easy.

I guess I would really like to just stick with that and then maybe I could export the final as something good like prores...

Everything is still in 1920x1080 so I wonder how bad it could look on the big screen considering...

Anyone have any thoughts to this dilemma?

thanks so much!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Best MPEG STREAMCLIP codec for feature FILM
on Jun 13, 2011 at 3:08:22 pm

Huh? ProRes is designed for editing XDCAM EX is long-GOP so your editing software works twice as hard to render it. ProRes is the standard for most folks working in features right now. Or DNxHD or Uncompressed/DPX.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

John Young
on Jun 13, 2011 at 7:39:16 pm

[eldete productions] "I'm wondering the best codec from RAW in mpeg streamclip "

I don't know what you mean by RAW. If you are Canon DSLR you are starting out with a H.264 file. If you are on Panasonic you are AVCHD. If you are editing on Premiere Pro CS5 you can edit those natively, otherwise I would transcode the original files to ProRes (or Avid DNxHD if you are on Windows).

[eldete productions] "I know prores is the best but I find it extremely difficult to edit. Most of my work is online based and Ive always used xdcam ex 1080p 24 and editing is easy. "

I am wondering if you are comparing two different things. ProRes is a codec. XDcam is a codec as well but that wouldn't have anything to do with 1080p 24fps. (A xdcam file could just as well be 720p 50fps) Are you talking about the xdcam codec? or xdcam sequence preset?

http://www.johnathanyoung.com

Return to posts index

Sergio Lelevier
on Jun 15, 2011 at 1:42:04 pm

Can you transcode H.264 to xdcam or DXnHD and edit on Sony Vegas?

Return to posts index

Chuck Purnell
on Jun 24, 2011 at 9:56:38 am

Not sure why its a pain to edit. I just shot a commercial for someone using my Nikon D7000 and I converted my clips which are 720/30p over to Apple ProRes 422 LT in Mpeg Streamclip. Make sure you slide the quality slider all the way over to 100. Click the aspect ratio for me I used 1280x720 HD720p and unchecked the box for deinterlace. Once the files were converted, editing in Final Cut Pro was a breeze. I will say that using Mpeg Streamclip was my 2nd option. I tried to go right from the SD Card into FCP and the video kept locking up or stuttering. Some clips played fine on my external monitor but not on the computer screen so I decided to convert them to ProRes and after that everything was fine. I figured since the files were .mov files coming out of the camera that I could go right into FCP and start editing but that wasn't the case for me.

Cre8tive Minds Entertainment, LLC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]