FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best Wide Angle Lens for Canon T2i Video?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
CaMareo Waller
Best Wide Angle Lens for Canon T2i Video?
on Jun 10, 2011 at 5:56:25 pm

I recently purchased a T2i, and am having difficulty determining the best wide angle lens to use for video. I have the 18-55mm kit lens which is okay, as well as a canon 50mm 1.8, which is excellent.

I hear Tamron's 18mm-270mm (newest release) is pretty good, but I am definitely open to suggestions. Price-wise, I'd like to stay within the $500-$600 range. Any Help?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Best Wide Angle Lens for Canon T2i Video?
on Jun 10, 2011 at 7:07:16 pm

You want zoom or prime- prime wide angles are going to be better quality for the money. And what's your definition of wide- from 10-20mm say?

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Danny Grizzle
on Jun 10, 2011 at 8:35:19 pm

Are you unhappy with the 18-55mm kit lens for cause, or because of what you read?

I just looked at the Tamron on Amazon, and the people who buy it seem to like it. In the price range you are talking about, it may be hard to beat. If it were me, I'd read a bunch of reviews - there are some great websites doing really thorough, well produced reviews.

On the other hand, forums and reviews are filled with guys like me who read too much and shoot too little. After all, you can do some very cool stuff with a Lens Baby, unless you over think it and kill them with analysis and comparison to Canon L lenses or Zeiss glass.

I'd say buy the Tamron plus the best tripod and head you can afford.

Return to posts index

Dan LaCloche
on Jun 11, 2011 at 5:21:07 pm

I also have a T2i and was looking to replace my kit lens because it wasn't fast enough in low light situations and it had soft focus in the wide range. I ended up getting the Canon 17-55 f2.8. It was out of my price range, but I never regret spending the extra $$. I tested it side by side with the tamron and found the Canon lens to have a smoother focus ring. The tamon also focus ring is opposite to all my other lenses.

Here my question: does anyone know of a cheap T2i wide prime that is f 1.8? Like a 18mm f1.8 prime for $600? I'm looking for a fast, wide prime lens for a night shoot with a glidecam hd 1000.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Danny Grizzle
on Jun 12, 2011 at 9:22:48 pm

Tall order on 18mm f/1.8 @ $600. Sigma makes a 20mm f/1.8 EX Aspherical for $630.

B&H lists a Bower 14mm f/2.8 for $420, and a similar Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 for $370. There is also a Vivitar Series 1 13mm f/2.8 for $420.

Read the reviews on the B&H website for the Bower. They're enthusiastic.

I consider ND filters mandatory for DSLR video. None of the 14mm class lenses take filters, if that is important to you.

I use a Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L (original version, not latest II) on my T3i. It is consistently set to 16mm when on the Steadicam Merlin. Even discontinued and used, it costs about twice your $600 budget. From what I've read, however, there is not much advantage with the latest II design when used on crop sensor cameras. I find the lens to be lightweight and especially suited to flying on the Merlin, and use it with a Light Craft Workshop 77mm Fader ND Mk II, which is available on Amazon.com.

I considered purchase of a Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5 - 5.6 DC HSM for $700, but so far I have been happy with the Canon 16-35. The Sigma does not have the speed you are looking for, and it also does not take filters other than rear gel, but it is an interesting lens.

If you are uncertain what to do, you might consider renting. LensRentals.com has several candidates. I've used their services several times -- great company. Their website is worth reading, simply because they're experienced with a lot of lenses and lens related issues. They have a "try and buy" program setup with a partner retailer, which looks like a good deal.

Return to posts index

CaMareo Waller
on Jun 29, 2011 at 7:55:19 pm

Thanks for all of the detailed replies!

Upon more research (and reading tons of reviews), I think I have my choices narrowed down to two lenses:

*Tamron 17mm-50mm f/2.8 lens
*Tamron 28mm-75mm f/2.8 lens

I have read great reviews on both and seen beautiful video for both. Plus the wide aperture is a bonus for low-light shooting, etc.

However, would one consider the 17mm-50mm redundant, since I already have the 18-55 kit lens? Or could it be considered a sufficient upgrade/replacement?

Regarding the Tamron 28-75, although it's not as wide angled as I would like, but it would give me additional zoom capabilities.

Thoughts???

Return to posts index

Ryan Orr
on Jul 5, 2011 at 3:56:35 pm

Although the 17mm-50mm lens has similar zoom, it will have better quality in glass then your lens kit, and also have a constant f-stop in your zoom range. Your lens kit's f-stop would be 3-4 at best, and as you zoom in, it floats up to 5.6-7 I would guess. The fact that the Tameron is a constant 2.8 throughout the zoom range is a great thing, especial for video.

Return to posts index

John Silva
on Sep 21, 2011 at 4:39:16 pm

Id look into the Tokina 11-16. Its versatile, cheap in comparison to other wide angle zooms, and very strong in low light. Also well built.

Return to posts index

Ronnie Smith
on Dec 15, 2011 at 8:11:17 pm

I bought a Vivitar 13mm wide angle lens because it was cheap at around $600 I think it was since the Canon wide angles are really steep in price, but learned that Vivitar sucks! You cannot autofocus with it or use your camera to change your aperture settings. You have to do that from the lens itself. Trying to use the live preview doesn't work either using this lens.

If your wanting to really go wide angle then I would save your money and get a lens that will work with your camera especially when it comes to autofocus. The T2i has nine autofocus points but with this lens it won't work.

I learned that the cheaper 3rd party lens are stripped down versions which means it will hook up to your mount but has no electronic connections to control. Everything is manuel.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]