FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best wide-angle lens for Panasonic GH2?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steven Belcher
Best wide-angle lens for Panasonic GH2?
on Jun 8, 2011 at 10:09:53 pm

Like everyone else who owns one I'm sure... I'm trying very hard to find a REASONABLY priced wide-angle lens that would work with the GH2. I'm willing to buy whatever mount necessary, so it doesn't have to be specifically a micro 4/3 lens.

I've researched lenses and it seems that everyone recommends the Panasonic 7-14mm. Yes, that is an awesome lens, but at $900 it is in no way a viable option right now. I've also been told that the Pentax 6mm CCTV lens has been getting some great results... after heavy modification however... so no thanks.

Currently I'm caught up in old Olympus OM lenses with the GH2 since they look ridiculously awesome... So I'd like to maintain that look, or at least something close to it. That being said, what else do you recommend?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Best wide-angle lens for Panasonic GH2?
on Jun 8, 2011 at 10:55:53 pm

You've already got the 20mm Pancake- that's about the best deal in M43 IMHO.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Jun 8, 2011 at 11:01:38 pm

[Steven Belcher] "Like everyone else who owns one I'm sure... I'm trying very hard to find a REASONABLY priced wide-angle lens that would work with the GH2. I'm willing to buy whatever mount necessary, so it doesn't have to be specifically a micro 4/3 lens.

I've researched lenses and it seems that everyone recommends the Panasonic 7-14mm."

This is a timely question for me as well, since I'm on the cusp of dropping coin for the Panasonic 7-14mm. $949.95 at B&H... but hey, free shipping!

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Jun 9, 2011 at 12:53:35 am

Here's an option; not quite as wide as the Panasonic 7-14mm, but it's $250 cheaper and will take screw on filters: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/674724-REG/Olympus_261503_M_Zuiko_Dig...

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

Stephen Best
on Jun 9, 2011 at 2:23:32 am

Too soon to say if it's the "Best wide-angle lens for Panasonic GH2", but I just bought a 6.5mm f/1.9 Wollensack Cine-Raptar on eBay. I believe it's a "C" mount lens, but that's not for sure. When it arrives, and I get a chance to test it, I'll let you know how it performs. It may not be the "Best wide-angle lens", but if it works (and I'm not sure it will), at $31, it may well be the cheapest. And it sure looks pretty.

Regards
Stephen Best
http://stephenbest.ca

Return to posts index

Steven Belcher
on Jun 9, 2011 at 2:34:24 am

$30??? That sounds more my speed. Let me know how it is. I'm also considering getting .45x wide angle lens converter for the 14-42mm lens the gh2 came with, but I'm not sure if that would be best.

Return to posts index

Peter J. DeCrescenzo
on Jun 10, 2011 at 1:08:00 am

[Steven Belcher] "... a REASONABLY priced wide-angle lens that would work with the GH2 ..."

This allegedly forthcoming 12mm f1.6 lens from Noktor will be interesting if it produces nice images at a relatively low cost:
http://www.43rumors.com/exclusive-on-43rumors-new-noktor-12mm-f1-6-lens/

---

http://www.peterdv.com

Return to posts index

Steven Belcher
on Jun 10, 2011 at 3:15:25 am

I'm thinking about grabbing a .45x converter to mount on the 14-42mm. Has anyone seen one in action or know if it would work decently? 6.3mm (12.6mm) would be more than wide enough for me, even though I am not a fan of the 14-42mm Panasonic. But hey it's the cheapest option.

Return to posts index

Derek Hill
on Jun 26, 2011 at 2:05:45 pm

I use a .43X screw on converter with the 14-140 which seems to be the best Lumix lens for video. I shoot medical & dental office interiors so wide angle is a must. In order to avoid vignetting I have to back off the widest angle on the 14-140 just a bit. I also have a 7-14 which is smaller and lighter and instinctively should be better when considering quality of glass, weight etc - however the fellow that renders my videos tells me the 14-140 with the converter does a better job at capturing the basic video (AVCHD) - which I am assuming is due to the video oriented continuous focusing.

I would be interested to know if anyone else has tried the 14-140 with a converter versus the 7-14. Also at such wide angles (6mm - 7mm) how important is auto focusing?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]