FORUMS: list search recent posts

Which DSLR to get? action/snowboarding

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dylan Pipe
Which DSLR to get? action/snowboarding
on Jun 7, 2011 at 9:33:23 pm

I am looking to buy a DSLR,I am new to photography and videography world as you can tell. I am going to be filming Snowboarding and Skateboarding. I have been looking at canon t1i,t2i,t3i. But havent really looked outside of canon. I have a compaq laptop, and have Vegas pro 9( if those make a diffrence) My prices range is around under 700, and if I look around I can find some pretty good deals. So, I would like to know what would be the best camera for me.. I'm not to worried about getting my camera wet while I film in the winter, and i will be filming in the winter so itll be crappy lighting and such. Also, since im going to be filming action sports, would it be better to get the t1i since in only shoots in 720 at 30 FPS( i think) and isnt that better than 1080p for action? i may be wrong....
Also, what lenses should I get, for extras? Also, what about Nikon, sony dslrs?

Thanks,
Dylan

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Which DSLR to get? action/snowboarding
on Jun 7, 2011 at 11:34:50 pm

Have you considered a GoPro HD, there's not a better action sports video camera out there. That plus a T3i would make a nice set.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Dylan Pipe
on Jun 7, 2011 at 11:57:46 pm

Yeah, I have thought of a go pro, my friend has one, that we use for POV shots( from like helmet and stuff) so I want a cmaera with better resoultion, better quality etc. What about the nikon and sony's that have the flip out screen,i know the t3i has one but its too expensive for me..

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 8, 2011 at 10:57:58 pm

yeah I'd try and scrape up for the T3i or a used Canon 60D, not sure what Sony you're talking about that is a DSLR for much less than that.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Chip Thome
on Jun 9, 2011 at 1:18:51 am

Take a look at the left over new Panasonic GH1s for $399 and then the hack that was just released for them.

Return to posts index

Dylan Pipe
on Jun 9, 2011 at 2:49:15 am

How would the gh1 compare to the t1i or t2i? since panasonic isnt very known for DSLR's and what does the hack do, and how wouldit help me video wise..?

Return to posts index

Chip Thome
on Jun 9, 2011 at 3:34:13 am

Honestly, a hacked GH1 is going to blow the doors off of most every Canon made.

What the hack does is remove the restrictions Panasonic placed into the camera's firmware. So now instead of a data rate of 17mbps you can see 30, 40 or even 50s. It also removes the "i" wrapper so a hacked GH1 can now shoot native 24P.

This entire section discusses the hack and various settings:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/forumdisplay.php?206-GH13-The-GH-Firmware-Hack

This is the site of the man who wrote the hack for the early GH1s and also now in the last few weeks, the hack for the recent "unahackable" ones too:

http://www.personal-view.com./talks/discussions

For examples of video produced with hacked and unhacked GH1s, Vimeo has an entire section devoted to them:

http://www.vimeo.com/groups/gh1

Recent music video created with the hacked GH1:

So there's just a ton of information out there to digest about the GH1 and hacking it. The procedure to hack the camera is simple, the tough part is selecting which group of settings maximizes the camera for your own use.

Return to posts index

Ed Cilley
on Jun 10, 2011 at 6:36:28 pm

Surprised no one mentioned the issues of combining a DSLR and snowboarding - rolling shutter. Isn't that a concern for what he is looking to do?

Return to posts index

Dylan Pipe
on Jun 15, 2011 at 12:45:29 am

I can get a gh1 for $ 425. shoudl i do it?

Return to posts index

Michal Trzaska
on Jun 15, 2011 at 11:39:37 am

ok so I love DSLRs and I love what they are doing to the industry, so it hurts me so much to say this. If your looking to do snowboarding videos don't get a DSLR camera.

-If your going to do photos only, yes get one
-if you will shoot video standing still on a tripod slowly pan and do a nice focus with shallow depth of field on the rider then yes get one
-if you will be on the back of a snowmobile with a steadyCam with a vest and arm then yes get one

DSLR are great because they give you that shallow depth of field, film look but if your making a fast sports video you will never get to use that because it will be impossible to focus, you will hate your life.

Jello Effect, no way around it.

You will need an ND filter because snow is so bright and you need to block some of the light from going into the lens. + $110

I hate to be negative and all and believe me I would love for more people to get DSLRs becouse they are great but for what you like to do I think you will get more bang for your buck if you get a video camera. Even the cheep ones will get you better action results.

Best of luck, if you still get a DSLR make sure it's one with a swivel LCD it will help tremendously

Michal Trzaska
Editor, Colorist, Director of Photography, VFX Artist and Motion Graphics Artist
MeHow Design
TV Commercials for your Google TV ads. Web Videos that get results

Return to posts index

josh spurling
on Jan 29, 2012 at 9:00:18 pm

Hey i have a question becuse i am also interested in a dslr for snowboarding. Although i will be using it with many experimental videos but i good prtion would be for snowboarding. im interested in them beause of the amazing quality and cinematic look it gives and thats the look im going for. Is there any other cameras you would suggest? or do you think a dslr would be good. i wont have many moving shots. But i did plan on buying a steady cam would that work?. i have also seen many videos where they use dslr and they are fanominal. Basically my question is . it is possible right? It just takes a bit to find your way around the camera and what works and what doesnt?

Return to posts index

Michal Trzaska
on Jun 21, 2011 at 3:49:55 am

so what are you going to get?

Michal Trzaska
Editor, Colorist, Director of Photography, VFX Artist and Motion Graphics Artist
MeHow Design
TV Commercials for your Google TV ads. Web Videos that get results

2011 Demo

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]