FORUMS: list search recent posts

Optimum Strategies for Shooting Stills and HD Video Simultaneously during Photoshoot?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jenny Caponi
Optimum Strategies for Shooting Stills and HD Video Simultaneously during Photoshoot?
on Jun 4, 2011 at 6:25:00 pm

Greetings all,

I have been shooting photography and video for some time, and I am enrolled in a summer-school class where we are to come up with a brief business plan for our future photography/videography ventures.

Well, I am going to build a brand around shooting stills and video simultaneously, and I was wondeirng if anyone might have any recommendations as how best shoot hd video and stills at the same time throughout the shoot. Who are the leaders in this field?

Do any of you mount two cameras together (Such as a video camera and dslr), or set up dedicated video cameras or still cameras DSLRs on tripods? What brackets/systems/methods do you use for mounting stills and video cameras, and/or shooting stills and video together at the same time?

And of course, I will also be including a section on audio in my business plan, so any tips would rock!

Just looking for some ideas! & if I use your original idea, I'll be more than happy to provide you a reference!

Thanks in advance for the advice and insights! I will look forward to sharing the final plan with y'all.

MD
:)

Return to posts index

Jenny Caponi
Re: Optimum Strategies for Shooting Stills and HD Video Simultaneously during Photoshoot?
on Jun 4, 2011 at 8:14:12 pm

This guy seems to be shooting stills & video at the same time in a cool way:

[url=http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2008/06/annaliza-savage/]War Photog Blends Video, Stills for New Combat Views | Danger Room | Wired.com[/url]

[QUOTE]Ziv Koren is a world-renown combat photographer whose coverage of the
Israeli-Palestinian conflict has vaulted him to international acclaim. Now, he’s helping invent a whole new visual aesthetic that digitally combines still photos with moving images, seamlessly.

Koren has spent years shooting for titles, including Time Magazine, the New York Times, and Paris Match. His photograph of the aftermath of a suicide bombing of an Israeli bus was selected by the World Press Photo Organisation in 2000 as one of the most important photos in the last 45 years. But when film director Solo Avital asked Koren to be the subject of the documentary, "More than 1000 Words," the photographer found his work started to expand beyond the still, frozen frame.

In order to film Koren on the West Bank, Gaza and other hot zones, the filmmakers devised a small "finger camera" to mount on Koren¹s lens. Avital says it was the only way to get close to Koren without attracting too much attention.
But the result is that you can see Koren’s subjects as he does — through his lens. And that gives much more information, about both the photographer and the photographed.[/QUOTE]

He is showing it is possible! And i a war zone during combat!

:)

Anybody else see anything like this out there? The more I think about it, the more I am excited about potentialities.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Optimum Strategies for Shooting Stills and HD Video Simultaneously during Photoshoot?
on Jun 4, 2011 at 11:10:13 pm

Some cameras let you do both- shoot stills while shooting video- though at 1920x1080 typically.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Jun 5, 2011 at 12:40:13 am

I don't want to burst your bubble but I would council some caution here both from a technical and business point of view.

If you try to shoot stills with the same camera you are filming video with and at the same time you are risking

1) messing up your video clip by the shake caused by you firing off a still
2) Possibly a "click" shutter noise or other noise you make on your video's audio track (all depends upon how you are doing the audio)

You could extract a still from a 1920x1080p video but that would be considered still a very low resolution still image with 12MB and higher images being typical so that wouldn't be any advantage to a customer. Video and photography are different disciplines....now you could have a partner that shoots one while you do the other that obviously works and perhaps you can do it at a price that is far cheaper than hiring separately. (although caution again on building a business that is built on being the cheapest...I know from bitter personal experience you aren't doing yourself any favors by trying that!)

From a business marketing point of view it's not much of a differentiation...plus it is one that you competitors can easily duplicate once they let you figure out all the hard stuff on how exactly to do it.

I heard of a photographer in our local area that is boasting to the local camera shop that he gets a lot of business because he is the only in the area that has a 1.0 f-stop Canon lens....well obviously anyone who is willing to shell out the bucks for one of these has just taken away his advantage.

The only thing a competitor can't duplicate is you being uniquely you...how you handle customers, how you make them comfortable, how you deal fairly and openly on price etc thereby creating trust...you won't find that in any B&H catalog so you are safe from copycats!

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
on Jun 5, 2011 at 2:21:06 pm

The plan sounds a little gimmicky - works great for a short time and then everyone wants to know "what else ya got?" skip the gimmicks and go with solid business practices. Most people will want to hire a photographer to get pictures the video camera didnt get. I know I will use snaps from actors phones, my phone, etc for a unique look or hire a set photographer for just that purpose. If the still and motion camera shoot the same thing, what's the point?

Jonathan Ziegler
http://www.electrictiger.com/
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 6, 2011 at 3:47:39 pm

Ha- please don't think I was pushing that as an ideal solution just saying it's possible and for some folks does the trick. Yes of course the ideal solution is you have two or more cameras and can afford the people to shoot with them. But this is a down economy so it's good to know options.

-Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Jun 6, 2011 at 5:57:37 pm

While I'm not shooting stills & video exactly simultaneously, on some shoots I am utilizing (and being paid for) both capabilities. I'm doing an ongoing series of physician interviews for a large medical entity. Normally, they would have the doctors go in to a photo studio for headshots that go on the website and ID badge. But, since I'm already setting up nice lighting and doing an interview I can easily switch my GH2 over to photo mode and get some high res headshots. I get paid extra and they save the trouble of having to schedule the doctor for one more thing. It's a win-win! My Panasonic GH2 has paid for itself more quickly than any other camera I have owned in over a decade in this business –while enabling me to deliver a higher quality product.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Jun 6, 2011 at 6:11:28 pm

Yes that could work, in particular for the Web site, however check with your client's security department on the badge thing...they often require that all badge pictures be taken in front of a standard background so your interview set might not work for them and you may or may not be able to duplicate what they have.

There's also the issue of you getting the headshot picture to the security department, it's frankly a lot faster for them to do it as part of a new employees "on boarding" process...the badge thing gets quite complicated because the badge itself has to be encoded (the magnetic strip on back) in order to input facility access privileges. For security departments still using the Polaroid style cameras for security badges you WOULD be saving them the cost of that film but it would be more hassle for them - bottom line I don't see this as a practical use case.

Return to posts index

Jenny Caponi
on Jun 6, 2011 at 7:09:01 pm

well, here's a diy method from DIY photography:

diyphotography.net/a-diy-9shooter-shooting-stills-video-simultaneously-audio-too

"The post below shows a simple way to capture video while taking still pictures. Sure, there is some added weight and yea, video will not get a dedicated person and will just "follow along", yet, this is a neat way to achieve video with just one person shooting, This is also a great instructional tool for yourself to see how you interact with your model, what things work and what makes them shrink.

There are two versions for this mod - a dueler which mounts a DSLR with a video camera and a 9 Shooter that also has sound attached. "

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Jun 6, 2011 at 7:33:59 pm

Steve,

It is working. I don't need to worry about any of this. All I do is upload the photos to them and they take it from there. Done deal.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jun 7, 2011 at 8:45:34 pm

In my opinion, one can do both simultaneously ONLY if you're content to do each in an extremely MEDIOCRE fashion.

The mediocre still shooter AND the mediocre videographer do the same thing. They start their machine and then start capturing images accepting that whatever is coming through the lens will be "good enough."

A "professional" photographer has their brain dedicated to watching a stream of unfolding images looking for the PERFECT MOMENT to capture. They reject 1000 moments until they either discover or MANIPULATE the light, angle, composition and action to achieve something beyond just "acceptable."

This require constant refinement and constant vigilance to achieve quality.

The "professional videographer" similarly is CONSTANTLY assessing an unfolding stream of imagery. They're looking at how THIS scene begins, how it unfolds, and how it should end. To strip your brain away from "is this scene unfolding correctly" and wrench it over to "should I perfect this still image" puts both the stream AND the still at risk.

If you're any good at EITHER shooting stills or shooting video - while you're doing one, there should be no brain share left to do the other - precisely because you're focusing ALL your attention on getting whichever is your current job done well.

I shoot both stills and shoot video. But I DEMAND that my clients tell me which is my primary task every time I focus my attention on the scene. I can do one well, then switch to the other, but every single time I've tried to do both simultaneously I've watched my results dumb down to a point where the results have embarrassed me.

My two cents, anyway.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Conner

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]