FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hacked GH1 SDHC Card Writing Speed Error

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robbie Thompson
Hacked GH1 SDHC Card Writing Speed Error
on Jun 4, 2011 at 4:25:03 pm

I've been shooting great video with my hacked Panasonic GH1 for several months now. I attempted to shoot tight shots in an outdoor plant garden location today and began receiving the following writing speed error:

MOTION RECORDING WAS CANCELLED DUE TO THE LIMITATION OF THE WRITING SPEED OF THE´╗┐ CARD

My GH1 was hacked to bump up to a 44Mbps bit rate. I'm using Transcend Class 10 SDHC cards that have always been very reliable. After researching this problem a bit, I realize that my problem stems from my camera's inability to process the details of the plant foliage that was blowing in a light wind at the location. I tried another test by zooming in on the foliage of a tree blowing in the wind and consistently received the same error. I didn't receive the error while shooting wider shots of the tree, shots of my home, etc.

Question: Can anyone provide insight on how to remedy this problem? Again, I've shot weddings, interviews, street and rural b-roll with my camera and I've never had this problem. If there is a fix, I'd love to know what it is so that I can in fact shoot images in which detailed, multi-patterned subjects are captured more closely.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

v/r,

Robbie

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
Re: Hacked GH1 SDHC Card Writing Speed Error
on Jun 5, 2011 at 2:14:37 pm

I've run into this with my hacked canon running magic lantern only the buffer simply overruns and recording stops. I have a number of off-brand (transcend, pqi, et al) class 10s. The one card that never causes problems is the far more expensive is the Sandisk extreme unless I'm shooting for bitrates higher than 60mbps. The cards just aren't designed for it and the camera's buffer gets overrun. Haven't dared try it on my 7d for fear of bricking it, but I do it on my t2i all the time. I haven't seen any quality improvements - in fact the codec gets a little weird when I tweak the bitrate giving me odd artifacts. If you can't shoot active things, what's the point of the higher bitrate?

Jonathan Ziegler
http://www.electrictiger.com/
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]