FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can anyone recommend a value-for-money follow focus?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
adrian kelaty
Can anyone recommend a value-for-money follow focus?
on Jun 2, 2011 at 8:35:18 am

I have been searching high and low for a good value option for follow focus.

I also need to buy a rig, so I may be considering options for a bundle including rig and ff

Any ideas?

Regards, Adrian

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Can anyone recommend a value-for-money follow focus?
on Jun 2, 2011 at 2:17:49 pm

What's the budget?

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Matt Doe
on Jun 2, 2011 at 2:42:12 pm

Can't get much simpler than this

http://www.ikancorp.com/productInfo.php?id=232

Return to posts index

adrian kelaty
on Jun 2, 2011 at 8:18:31 pm

Hey that's fantastic

Thanks for the tip!!!

Return to posts index

Danny Grizzle
on Jun 7, 2011 at 11:01:44 pm

I bought iDC, and I like it. Like IKAN, it is a friction system. This makes changing lenses fast and easy.

I think iDC has superior build quality. The System Zero is perfect for typical T2i and T3i shooters (call iDC for info). System One is great for large rigs. I like mine and I would buy again, but with a couple of reservations. Access to thumb screws to tighten focus wheels can be difficult for fingers when rigging multiple wheel lenses for focus, zoom, and the side support. Second, I wish there were some kind of support for the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 lens, which has a tripod collar supplied by Canon. Such a heavy lens simply puts a lot of torque on the lens mount and camera base when used without the tripod adapter. Still, it works - but I don't like being hard on my equipment.

One other hesitation on the iDC is the "hex" bracket handle mount when used for heavy camera rigs. Being open sided, it flexes. That does not bother me so much as the fear that the rail clamp will come loose and I will drop my camera. I have no basis for these concerns, and I've experienced no problems. But I think about it constantly. If the handle attachment points were more confidence inspiring, it would be a load off my mind and less a distraction during production.

The iDC focus wheels look a little goofy because they are canted back at a 45 degree angle. I actually like this better because I never work with a real assistant, and I pull focus myself. The geometry on the iDC focus wheel is superior for one man band operation. This design has proved its worth to me in the heat of production, and I love it.

iDC Photo Video

iDC is very modular. You can get follow focus at a nice price, but if you go with a full blown configuration like I did, you will spend comparable money to name brand rod based systems.

Besides friction drive follow focus, iDC is a monorail type design. The System One which I bought fits directly into Manfrotto and Gitzo heads, and can be adapted to anything else.

iDC just introduced a rod adapter which allows front of lens accessories. I use mine with a Red Rock Micro matte box and a Bodelin ProPrompter.

I also use a SmallHD DP6 monitor, and I appreciate that iDC offers mounting hardware specific to this monitor.

Return to posts index

adrian kelaty
on Jun 9, 2011 at 10:28:40 pm

Hey Danny, this is really helpful. I've never heard of iDC before. Checked out their website; they have some great stuff besides the FFocus!

Thanks for your help!

Adrian

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]