FORUMS: list search recent posts

Deciding upon a DSLR with HD video

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dillon Mortensen
Deciding upon a DSLR with HD video
on Jun 2, 2011 at 6:44:21 am

I am currently in the market for a DSLR to use for pictures and video. I am a college student at the Colorado Film School and need a semi-affordable camera with the best options. I was looking at the Canon XF100 camcorder but it is now out of my price range. I am willing to spend up to $1,500 (hopefully through the Best Buy financing card) and am just posting to see if I can get any recommendations or perspectives. At the moment, the Canon 60D is looking like the best deal. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Dillon M

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Deciding upon a DSLR with HD video
on Jun 2, 2011 at 2:16:28 pm

60D is solid but it's not the very latest in this market segment. Also peek at the Canon T3i and Panasonic GH2. $1500 is definitely enough to get started with.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Jun 2, 2011 at 3:17:00 pm

+1 for the Panasonic GH2!

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

Dillon Mortensen
on Jun 3, 2011 at 10:28:13 pm

Thanks guys. I was hoping to use my bestbuy no interest on the card deal and they don't sell the gh2.
So right now it's between the 60d and the t3i. The 60d seems better, but the t3i's ability to crop the sensor seems pretty nice. It seems like a line straight in the middle for these two. Is there anything substantial between the two or should I go the cheaper route?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 4, 2011 at 3:04:47 am

Go T3i- it's definitely got a few tricks the 60D does not do.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Dillon Mortensen
on Jun 4, 2011 at 3:15:18 pm

Other than being able to zoom while filming, what are the tricks the t3i can do that the 60d cannot do?
Thanks for all of your help so far.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 4, 2011 at 11:11:10 pm

-Noah

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Jun 6, 2011 at 1:54:57 pm

The 60D is a great option. That'll cost your $1,000. Then you only have $500 for a lens.

Canon has a 50mm 1.2 lens for only $300. It's a great lens for the price. It is limited in distance, but with your budget, it may be the best starting point.

I recommend the L-Series lenses when you have the budget. It's all about the glass you put on your camera. The L-Series 24-70 2.8, will give you some flexibility in what you shoot.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite