FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon 7d Nightclub Video Shoot

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alper Kasap
Canon 7d Nightclub Video Shoot
on May 19, 2011 at 12:21:35 am

Hi,

There is a certain look im trying to capture with my CANON 7d with a 50mm 1.4f lens and im finding difficulty and i was wondering if anyone could help...

In trying to do a promo video for a nightclub i went out and bought a BESCOR 70w ULTRA BRIGHT LED LIGHT with dimmer and filter from BHphoto.
The problem was even dimmed and at its lowest level it was kind of blinding people, so i had to turn it off and put my ISO level up to 6400 which resulted in grain and not the look i was after. Here is a video which shows exactly the look i want

my question is

1) What on board lighting is recommended for these indoor nightclub shoots? What is the recommended aperture,shutter and iso levels, is my ap[erture set at 1.4 for shallow depth of field to low ?

2) how do they get that purple colour tone in their videos, is that just standard purple colour correction, or is it like a magic bullet preset ?

Appreciate anyone's input...

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Canon 7d Nightclub Video Shoot
on May 19, 2011 at 3:27:36 am

That all pretty much looks like theatrical lighting only. Did you really need to go a 6400 ASA at F1.4? I'd guess the nightclub needs to boost their lighting levels more. An on-camera light would not look good.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Alper Kasap
on May 19, 2011 at 4:16:28 am

yes now i know that it was up to high, but i had no choice the place was very lightly lit.. in that video they a using an on board light but it aint blinding them and i think there using a 5d not a 7d not sure if there would be a difference in the way they handle light.
but any suggestions on good onboard lighting for such things, also how what are some standard guidelines to follow in terms of aperture and shutter... all there videos have that puple olour tone so i dont think its the venues lighting, it must be a plugin used in post.

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on May 19, 2011 at 4:56:27 am

The video you posted is one you'd like to emulate, right? (I.e. it's not your video?)

I don't see an on-board light in that video, and when I do see purple hue, it seems to be the effect of the club lighting, possibly blacklights.

Certainly, 5D should produce less noise in low light, vs. 7D.

Alex (DV411)

Return to posts index

Colin McQuillan
on May 19, 2011 at 4:59:18 am

If there was any light on camera to add a touch of boost it was very subtle and very diffused. My thought is the operator was positioning himself in areas that utilized the existing club lighting.

Shutter speed I'd keep at 60 (180 deg) in N.America, unless you know exactly what types of lights are being used inhouse. If you want that hyper-real look increase it, but if you see lines scrolling over your footage roll it back to 60 because you are picking up frequencies in some of the light sources. (or 50 in PAL-Land)

The purple light source is visible up on the grid in the BG of some of the shots. The shooter probably got those shots again by using the available club lighting, creatively positing the subject between the purple light source's path and the lens. If you shoot with AWB you wont have great results shooting in a place like this. Figure out the ambient light of the room without the coloured lights and set you WB to that. (you could guess 3200K indoors, but that is not always right.)

Colin McQuillan
Vancouver, B.C.

"Live, love, laugh and be happy."

Return to posts index

Alper Kasap
on May 19, 2011 at 8:08:26 am

thank you guys for your responses...

Ive posted the wrong video unfortunately please have a look at this

You can clearly see that the subjects face are lit, there is some kind of an on board light that does not blind them but is enough to light up the shot in an interesting way. You can see the amount of purple used in this video, is it just putting up the hue in the CC to be purple, or is it a plugin.. Watching this video, what do you think the shutter or aperture is set at. We are in Australia so the standard is PAL 25fps and hence shutter at 50. But you can see that there is hardly no Depth of field, on the "people shots" but there is on the close up shots ( of dj, bar, shot glasses etc ) but with the change of aperture the video is still consistently lit. don't you think ?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 19, 2011 at 2:34:13 pm

I only saw a couple of shots in there that had an on-camera light. Most of that was shot with the available club lighting. Again- this is not a good comparison for you because obviously the club you are shooting at is much darker than the one's you're showing in this video. Some clubs have really bright studio lighting and others are dark as a coal mine- in which case you're screwed for cinematography. Perhaps you could post some of your footage that you say is too grainy/dark so we can understand more clearly what the problem is.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Colin McQuillan
on May 19, 2011 at 6:43:59 pm

Look at the shot at :24. You can see the purple in the BG of the shot. This leads me to believe the shooter white balanced in this portion of the room and the purple shots were shot in that area of the room without re-balancing. You can also achieve this in post as well either remapping the hilites and mids, or using the 3-wheel CC to add purple to the HL's and maybe a purple glow effect to tthe HL's to further push the effect.

A few shots may well have a camera light on (0:14, 0:24, :35…) For a good chunk of it I'm still feeling the shooter is positioning him/herself in places that he can utilize the in-house lights (the purple stuff).

What you'll want to do to your light is, if you can, set it to 'flood' and diffuse the crap out of it. Unless you want your subjects to beam bright while everything around them is dark, all you want your light for is to add maybe a stop or 2 of light to your subject in relation to their surrounding. I personally am not a huge fan of the LED panels, nor the Anton Ultralight systems as they pierce peoples eyes and the light falloff rate is steep. The benefit to them is they are relatively cheap (the LED panels anyway) and use fairly low power. Flooding/diffusing an old-schoold Lowell Sun-gun style tungsten bulb is the best looking, but can burn through power fairly quick….

Colin McQuillan
Vancouver, B.C.

"Live, love, laugh and be happy."

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on May 20, 2011 at 4:01:32 pm

First, if you are doing a promo for the club, you should have communicated with them about proper lighting. You should have informed them that they have to boost their lighting for the video to turn out properly. You cannot allow them to keep their standard mood lighting if they want a properly shot video.

I never use on camera lighting for this type of shoot. You should have had off camera lighting set up to light the area you planned on shooting. Then you won't have to deal with the spotlight in the eyes, which is irritating and looks bad.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

Josephus Tudtud
on Aug 15, 2011 at 12:15:10 pm

I usually wait for the music to help me que in when the club lights will go bright, and keep ISO at 1600, try to get as much footage. I focus on specific shots until the right lighting hits them, then move on. Here's sample of latest work, some are noisy but i try to hide it by the quick cuts.

Return to posts index

Blake Hutchinson
on Nov 24, 2011 at 1:23:35 am

Hey I just have a question about shooting at a night club.

How do you not get beer or any alcohol on your camera?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]