FORUMS: list search recent posts

D7000 footage in Final Cut Pro

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dana Smillie
D7000 footage in Final Cut Pro
on May 18, 2011 at 12:16:31 pm

Hi. Shooting Nikon D7000 full resolution (1920x108 with the h264 compression). Editing in Final Cut Pro 7. Editing on MBP 17" laptop (with the 3GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor).
As per everyone's advice, I learned I should first convert my files to ProRes 422 (LT). (Which takes forever but never mind). But I am outputting for web video, which I usually do as h264. It takes an insane long amount of time.

So:

Convert footage to ProRes 422 LT for editing.Got it.
But what is the most efficient codec to use for output that will be uploaded to web (ie, youtube or vimeo.)

Return to posts index

Michael Cavanagh
Re: D7000 footage in Final Cut Pro
on May 18, 2011 at 2:51:06 pm

Export it out of final cut as "Current Settings" so it creates a self contained ProRes LT File. Once its exported Drag it into a program called MPEG Streamclip (Google it) which is free and fast, from there you can encode it to H264. I find this method to be faster.

You can also export the file from FCP as a reference file. to save even more time and space.

Mike

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 18, 2011 at 5:10:44 pm

Yup- them's the breaks. You want faster- ya need something like a Mac Pro. H.264 is just raw processing cycles. If you haven't maxed your RAM- that would help.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Colin McQuillan
on May 18, 2011 at 6:07:16 pm

This product can do wonders if you are limited by processing speed on a MacBook Pro.

http://www.elgato.com/elgato/na/mainmenu/products/Turbo264HD/product1.en.ht...

Not sure how it stacks up against brand new top end quad core MBP's, but on dual-core '09 and earlier MBP's it speeds up the h.264 encoding big time.

Colin McQuillan
Vancouver, B.C.

"Live, love, laugh and be happy."

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 18, 2011 at 6:57:47 pm

Yeah I was going to mention that too but wasn't sure how versatile that piece of gear actually was. Elgato- send me one for review please. :)

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Colin McQuillan
on May 18, 2011 at 8:26:43 pm

It's great for MBP's. An ENG sports shooter here has developed a great system for shooting hilites of live sporting events and uses the Turbo to encode clips to send back to the station for broadcast. He shoots the game with a camera that has a buffer. Sets the buffer to 20-30 seconds and just follows the game without recording. When a play, goal, hit, TD... happens he taps the record button and gets all the build up and rolls on the celebration. Then between periods/halfs/quarters... uses a MBP with the Turbo to encode the good plays and uploads them to the station's FTP for broadcast.

Colin McQuillan
Vancouver, B.C.

"Live, love, laugh and be happy."

Return to posts index

Dana Smillie
on May 19, 2011 at 6:04:33 am

Thanks, everyone, for the advice.

Return to posts index

Chuck Purnell
on Jun 24, 2011 at 10:11:07 am

I have a similar machine except I have 2.33 duo processor Macbook Pro and I have a Matrox MXO2 Mini with Max box connected to my laptop. After editing my work in FCP, I send it to Compressor and I use one of the Matrox settings for compression. The speed at which it compresses videos is very impressive! I am talking 3-5 minutes compression time for a video that is about 10-15 minutes in length. I love using the Matrox MXO2 box and my videos look really good on Youtube and Vimeo.

Cre8tive Minds Entertainment, LLC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]