FORUMS: list search recent posts

What would you call essential kit?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Surf
What would you call essential kit?
on May 17, 2011 at 7:40:48 pm

So, I've sold my Z5E (hope it doesn't come back to bite me that decision??) and have decided to put my money into a DSLR set up - and hire a camcorder as and when I need one.

My question is; if you had £2500 (approx US$4000) to spend on essential corporate video DSLR kit, what would you buy?

I already have a EOS 550D (with kit lenses), a Glidecam HD4000, LCDVF Viewfinder, good enough tripod and a few other bits but I can't decide where else to put my money.

Slider? Better glass is an obvious choice - is there any essential kit I'm missing?

Any tips from people using DSLRs in the field is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Matt

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
Re: What would you call essential kit?
on May 17, 2011 at 7:46:00 pm

I'd suggest a field recorder. The Zoom H4n might be a good choice. Plus mics of course.

Return to posts index

Matt Surf
on May 17, 2011 at 7:57:04 pm

You're right, forgot that - Zoom H4n coupled with Sennheiser wireless lavalier I guess?

Part 1 of my new kit complete - thanks :0)

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 17, 2011 at 8:40:21 pm

I wouldn't limit myself to the slow kit lenses. Otherwise why get an interchangeable camera? :)

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Matt Surf
on May 17, 2011 at 8:54:31 pm

I agree Noah, was thinking about L Series but not sure as this will obviously blow a lot of my budget. All about compromise I guess?

Return to posts index

Chip Thome
on May 17, 2011 at 10:10:46 pm

Matt,

L glass is exceptionally fine quality and as gear goes, a solid investment as well.

When I began buying out my DSLR kit, I looked first to what I was shooting, who I was shooting it for, the delivery method and who the final audience would be. I then looked to my immediate competition and gauged what they were doing in relationship to where I would be after "gearing up".

In MY situation, L glass would have been wasting money. The guys in this and other forums could rip my stuff to shreds if asked for their opinions. They also would be correct as there's far better than I own that's available. But my clients and the final audience are going to think, in comparison to what they know and have seen, that what I have is fantastic!

I would suggest looking at your gearing up projections through both a business perspective and then from a creative perspective as well. Both of those projections I would assume would have different items. It may help then when it comes time to "compromise".

Good luck !!!!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 18, 2011 at 2:35:30 am

Yeah I'd get some nice wider Nikon primes and the Voigtlander adapter. Sure L's are indeed real nice but not for a starter kit.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Matt Surf
on May 18, 2011 at 2:09:24 pm

Hmmm, some interesting thoughts there, especially about the L glass. Maybe my money would be better spent elsewhere than on exceptional lenses?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 18, 2011 at 5:09:58 pm

Nothing wrong with exceptional lenses but you asked about essential kit for a price. Those are premium items and IMHO overkill if you're not positive your projects require them.

Noah

Return to posts index

Colin McQuillan
on May 18, 2011 at 5:49:09 pm

On your crop sensor camera the 50mm 1.4 lens is great for interviews and very affordable. Couple this with the mid-range 35mm and 85mm ( and maybe something near the 14-20mm range for the bigger wide shots) and you are set for most situations. If you find you need something longer look to add down the road a 70-200 f4L non-IS (non IS to save a bunch of bucks, as you will always be shooting on sticks or some kind of stabilizer right?! ;-)

If I was looking for a single lens to rule them all, the best of the bunch is the Canon 24-70mm 2.8L.Take a solid look at the Sigma version of this lens as well and save a few hundred! Some say it is optically every bit as good as the Canon and I've read a test or two that put it above, though the build quality is not as robust in regards to weather proofing and materials used.

Colin McQuillan
Vancouver, B.C.

"Live, love, laugh and be happy."

Return to posts index

Matt Surf
on May 19, 2011 at 11:33:28 am

Thanks - in terms of lenses I think I'm sold on the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8; the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 and then perhaps at least 1 L series so perhaps the 70-200 mentioned above.

If nothing else, I think your posts have made me lower my expectation a little bit and realise that even though everyone's talking about them I don't necessarily need top spec L glass at this stage.

So if lenses are sorted, what supplementary kit would / do you use in terms of order of importance?

Would a suggestion be?

1) Zoom H4n
2) Sennheiser wireless lavalier mic
3) ND Filters
4) Some kind of shoulder mounted rig support
5) A slider perhaps to really make your shots stand out?

I do only have a limited budget so am trying to make sure I really do get the right stuff to enable me to carry on shooting corporate / case study type films.

Cheers again for all the pointers everyone!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 19, 2011 at 2:22:53 pm

Well again- it really depends on a- your budget, b- your needs. Personally I'd say the first 3 items on that list are essential to any shoot and the other 2 are more options depending on what you want to produce.

Noah

Return to posts index

Matt Surf
on May 19, 2011 at 8:50:59 pm

Appreciate your time and thoughts Noah.

Return to posts index

Chip Thome
on May 20, 2011 at 8:38:39 am

The slider might come more into play for you, if what you are doing is more "choreographed" than say, a live event would be. In those cases, IMO, a slider could add more "value" to what you create, giving you a payback because of it. For "one take" live events though, I think a slider basically adds "fluff" but not "value".

So what is it you are shooting, seminars or other "one take" events, or something along the lines of "product" promotion demos etc ??? If it is more "product" based stuff, I would shove the slider toward the top and back down something else.

Return to posts index

Matt Surf
on May 20, 2011 at 7:38:45 pm

Cheers Chip - well so far, I have been doing mostly corporate case studies, video diary, documentary type stuff; not so much product promo or suchlike.

I guess I may be best suited to a 'little bit of this, little bit of that approach'?

Return to posts index

Matt Surf
on Jun 5, 2011 at 7:49:01 pm

Thanks for the pointers Steve - will check out your blog (apologies about slow reply, been on hols)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]