FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best LCD Screen Protector for Canon 60D?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Albert Solan
Best LCD Screen Protector for Canon 60D?
on May 6, 2011 at 2:15:44 pm

Hi,
I'd like to know what people are using to protect the LCD screen of their Canon 60D. I've read about good Glass Protectors that unfortunately won't let you close the screen.

Are there any good glass protectors that can do the trick?
Are the adhesive non-glass protectors any good?
How is the image in the screen altered by the protector, whichever it is, in terms of glare, reflections, and most importantly color?

Thank you, and have a nice day.

Albert

Return to posts index

Jim Biffle
Re: Best LCD Screen Protector for Canon 60D?
on May 10, 2011 at 4:11:04 am

Albert,

I just went to Best Buy and purchased some screen protectors designed for cell phones. I got the stuff that is apparently used to coat helicopter blades (could be a marketing ploy but whatever). The kit came with a template you can use to mark the dimensions of your screen and cut to fit. It has been on my camera for about a year and no signs of coming off.

Also, I'm not sure about the 60D but the 7D doesn't have any safe title guides like a regular video camera. So, I used After Effects to set up a blank comp with the safe title guides turned on over a black solid, grabbed a screen shot and went into Photoshop. I measured the dimensions of the screen on my camera in video mode keeping the gray bars on the LCD screen in mind. Then created a PSD to to those dimensions and imported my screen shot and sized the comp window to match. Then did a simple invert to make the safe title guides black and the background white. After that I printed it out on a transparency and cut to fit. I have the PSD available if you would like it. I made a border so I would know where to cut on the transparency so it would match the screen size (3 inches). It does get in the way of the display a little bit but not bad. I would recommend printing this out on a laser printer. I tried an inkjet (that didn't go so well) and even a couple of different colors but black worked the best.

So in essence I have two screen protectors on my camera and I don't see any color variation other than what appears to be a few air bubbles but no big deal.

Hope this helps you out a little,

Jim

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]