FORUMS: list search recent posts

GH2 Green Screen

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kathe Stanton
GH2 Green Screen
on May 5, 2011 at 2:14:20 pm

What is the thinking for GH2 camera settings for best green screen result?

Secondary factors:
-my green screen shoots are done outdoors to gain an even green screen
-I use CS3 After Effects and Premier Pro
-capturing in Motion JPEG at 30fps

prcamp.net

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: GH2 Green Screen
on May 5, 2011 at 3:39:51 pm

Where would Motion-JPEG come into the equation- that's a needless generation loss. If you had a direct HDMI to ProRes or uncompressed recorder I'd maybe suggest that but given the GH2's non standard HDMI out signal you'll get better results with the onboard AVHCD. As long as you expose properly and stay below 320 ASA with quality optics I'd expect a good key- assuming well lit and all that.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Kathe Stanton
on May 5, 2011 at 4:31:00 pm

GH2 gives choices: AVCHD 24fps and 60fps, or MOTION JPEG at 30fps native out of camera.

I have CS3 which does NOT accept AVCHD and DOES accept Motion JPEG first gen ... to use AVCHD I'd be 2nd gen

If I had FC or CS5 I would use AVCHD

My question is what camera settings will give a clean green screen result? As in Recording Mode and Settings? Should I be knocking down sharpness or contrast from the default settings in a preferred mode? The GH2 gives a lot of flex in terms of settings. I'd guess a mode without sharpening would be preferable.

I've had the camera two weeks and next week a green screen shoot. To me it is an overwhelming and great little camera.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 5, 2011 at 7:05:11 pm

No motion jpeg is lower res and lower image quality- never use that, especially for greenscreen.

Always shoot AVCHD H at 1080/24p for best quality. MPEG Streamclip will enable you to convert AVCHD to a format you can use in CS3. And btw- time to upgrade. :)

http://www.squared5.com/

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Kathe Stanton
on May 6, 2011 at 4:50:46 pm

Not sure I follow your logic. I have not yet shot green screen with GH2 so could be way off base.

The point is to get as clean and sharp an extraction as possible. 24fps is beautiful, however, inherently more blurry than a faster frame rate. 30 and 60fps would seem to have the advantage be it either MOV or AVCHD in format.

If talent allows, I intend to shoot both in MOV 30fps 720 and AVCHD 60p 720. Be it MOV or AVCHD is really a side issue that I expect to judge for myself.

My query in main is what Mode and Settings have gained good/pleasing results. The reason I don't simply experiment to resolve that issue, like I will with the frame rate, is the multitude of variables to consider that might be better than others.

Are you suggesting I should spend coin today for an upgrade when FC will soon be out with a major update? I am inclined to up date with Adobe, but I’d like to consider FC. I had no reason to update until I purchased the GH2 two weeks ago. If I am spending your money consider it done! ☺

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]