FORUMS: list search recent posts

Outboard recorder

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rich Rubasch
Outboard recorder
on May 5, 2011 at 1:56:05 am

We shoot with the Canon 5D and a Zoom audio recorder. The conversion/Pluraleyes media management is becoming a hassle. Has anyone gone with a KiPro or Convergent product to record directly to one of those devices? We are looking at a smoother workflow from shoot to edit.

Worked with some AF100 footage and it was a snap going from the source files right into FCP all with sequential timecode and linked audio. Kind of like the good old days of digitizing a tape and getting right to editing.

What are your experiences?

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
Re: Outboard recorder
on May 5, 2011 at 7:09:55 am

I'm shooting with a Panasonic GH2 and at first I tried shooting dual system sound, but I settled on something that I think is much better. I run my mic into a JuicedLink DT454. The excellent preamps give me all the clean gain that I need, then it goes out into the audio input of the GH2 for recording. The GH2 audio gain is on its lowest setting. The DT454 has a headphone jack for monitoring and the GH2 has onscreen audio meters. I can play audio back from the GH2 and listen to it through the DT454 as well. Although I am recording compressed audio, it sounds better than what I was getting when I was using my HVX with built-in XLR. No doubt the JuicedLink has better preamps than the HVX. I've done seven interviews with this system so far and I have a couple dozen more scheduled. It's working out great.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on May 5, 2011 at 7:45:40 am

Here's one of the interviews recorded with the GH2 and the JuicedLink DT454. The voice audio was not post-processed at all.

Dr. Lichtenstein Bio

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media

Return to posts index

Mike Thomas
on May 7, 2011 at 2:51:36 pm

Hey Jason, good info! I recently bought a GH2 and am planning to shoot a micro-budget feature with it. I was planning to use a dual system but now...in your opinion...would it be do-able for a guy to run the camera AND record good sound using your setup? The shots would include actors walking and interacting and such. Oblviously I would need a boom operator. Would I be overwhelmed running camera, monitoring sound, oh yeah, and directing at the same time?

Also, my only other experience with sound recording was using a Tascam HD P2 recorder. Quality-wise, how far "backwards" would I be going using your setup?

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on May 9, 2011 at 3:49:38 pm

[Mike Thomas] "Hey Jason, good info! I recently bought a GH2 and am planning to shoot a micro-budget feature with it. I was planning to use a dual system but now...in your opinion...would it be do-able for a guy to run the camera AND record good sound using your setup? The shots would include actors walking and interacting and such. Oblviously I would need a boom operator. Would I be overwhelmed running camera, monitoring sound, oh yeah, and directing at the same time?"

It would be doable, but probably a bit crazy.

[Mike Thomas] "
Also, my only other experience with sound recording was using a Tascam HD P2 recorder. Quality-wise, how far "backwards" would I be going using your setup?"

I haven't used a Tascam HD P2 recorder, but I did buy a Tascam DR-300 which was returned very quickly because the poor preamps made it unusable for professional work. With the JuicedLink DT454 running into the GH2, I'm getting better audio than I have ever had.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media

Return to posts index

Lu Nelson
on Jun 23, 2011 at 12:33:57 pm

Hey, it's a bit late here but I found this thread via Google

... what do you use the mount the dt454 to the gh2? It seems to me it is designed for the size of the Canon cameras and probably won't let you change batteries on a gh2 without removing; is that right?

Lu Nelson
Berlin, Germany
--
[MacProQ2.66, 8GB, Sys10.5.6, FCP 6.0.5, AE 9.0.2]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]