<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Antoine Julien
Noise
on Feb 17, 2010 at 6:16:49 pm

Hello People of the internet

I have a bit of a (big) problem.
I'm shooting a short film with the 5d mark2 in 3 days and did
some testing on set yesterday.

After looking a the footage we just realized that a lot of noise pops-up on the walls of the set:

Most of the noise pops up in the gradients on the wall
It was shot at ISO 200, f 2.8 and shutter speed of 1/100.
Is there something I can do onset to prevent it from happening or should I just hope the guys will fix in post(if so can you suggest ways to do it)?

Please help ASAP

Antoine

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
Re: Noise
on Feb 17, 2010 at 6:57:10 pm

Do you have a custom setting you are using? If not I would go into the settings and turn detail and contrast way down - some filmmakers even turn them all the way down. Also set your shutter to 1/60th if you are shooting 30p with 5D. There are noise issues with DSLRs in some shooting situations that will have to be fixed in post but most can be avoided with careful attention to set design and proper wardrobe choices.

Lance Bachelder
Southern California

Return to posts index

Antoine Julien
on Feb 17, 2010 at 8:32:00 pm

Thanks Lance

I already use custom setting but will try turning down detail and contrast even more.

Could it be because of the dark aspect of the set and wardrobe are not handled well in the H 264 compression.
I have red that some compression types dont do well on slow gradients of dark objects, especially things like walls?

In this case should I try slightly overexposing the whole shoot to avoid
possible noise?

Thx again

Antoine
Montreal.Canada

Return to posts index

Jeffrey Buras
on Feb 18, 2010 at 6:38:10 am

Yes, that would help. The in-camera sharpening and contrast don't help much, so just turn it all the way off. I think the sensor or the compression (not sure which) just can't hold detail in the shadows without noise, so it's best to expose brighter than you normally would, but don't sacrifice the highlights.

Return to posts index

Jeffrey Buras
on Feb 18, 2010 at 6:31:05 am

Shoot under daylight colored lights, since setting the camera to tungsten just boost the gain in the blue channel. The tests I've seen show that Canon's cameras work best at 320 or 640 ISO for some reason. Also try to overexpose as much as you can without clipping any highlights (if you take a still, the playback can show you what's been clipped), then darken in post if necessary.

It's a strange beast, but you have to shoot the way the camera wants.

Return to posts index

Robbie Carman
on Feb 19, 2010 at 5:10:55 am

Yeah I was going to ask what Jeffery did. What ISO where you shooting? Contrary to popualr belief with Canon cameras all ISOs are not created equal. Some lower ISOs are actually noisier the higher ISOs for video.

Robbie Carman
----------------
Colorist and Author
Check out my new Books:
Video Made on a Mac
Apple Pro Training Series DVDSP
From Still To Motion

Return to posts index

Antoine Julien
on Feb 24, 2010 at 2:53:47 am

Thanks for your answers guys

Finally we shot at ISO 320 and 500 at f2.8 with a shutter of 1/60 and it did a fair job.
We still have some noise in the the parts of the set where
lights formed gradients on the wall.

I realize that this camera is not ideal for highly contrasted
images in lower light conditions. If you give it plenty of light
it does a really good job. But let's just say I would not have shot
the Godfather's interior scene with this kind of camera;)
In those kind of situations I've notices that underexposed out of focus areas have tendency to get noisy (instead of being a smooth blur) and I also noticed some banding issues on certain areas as well.

Anyway it's in the can for now and we are looking to fix our little problems in post.

If you guys have any good recipes/plugins to recommend they are all welcome.

Right now were leaning toward neat video, wich is supposed the best
plugin on the market to solve this kind of problem.

If anybody as anything to share on this issue I'll be glad to know your experience/opinion. I'll keep you posted on our progress in postproduction.

Cheers guys

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Feb 24, 2010 at 9:26:59 pm

Yes, I second Neatvideo. But the H.264 compression will stay the biggest problem…

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]