FORUMS: list search recent posts

zoom on hotshoe

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ted irving
zoom on hotshoe
on Apr 29, 2011 at 11:20:15 am

is anyone using their zoom h4n as a shotgun mounted to their dslr hot shoe? or would it be easier & safer to use a shotgun mic on the hot shoe with a wireless transmitter sending sound to the zoom?

Ted Irving
Content Freelancer
Media Instructor
http://www.tedtv.tv
tedirving@yahoo.com

Return to posts index

Jim Biffle
Re: zoom on hotshoe
on Apr 29, 2011 at 2:18:55 pm

Ted,

I have a setup that allows me to do both. I like having the mic mounted instead of the Zoom. It is less awkward and less stress on the shoe mount to just have a shotgun mic mounted to the camera instead of the Zoom sitting on top of the camera. I don't have a wireless transmitter so I just put the Zoom in a photog vest or a hip pouch. It would also depend on what kind of audio you want to get.

Hope this helps a little,

Jim

Return to posts index

ted irving
on Apr 29, 2011 at 3:35:41 pm

thanks. i like that route. i shoot a lot of ENG, run & gun, and if i decided not to use a wireless shotgun then a mic on the DSLR would be cool but since i have a zoom i was thinking it would be less clumsy to have it mounted to the DSLR unless the audio it captures won't compare to a shotgun and will be a waste of time. Something is telling me to check out the fig rig though.

Ted Irving
Content Freelancer
Media Instructor
http://www.tedtv.tv
tedirving@yahoo.com

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 2, 2011 at 1:33:12 am

I've yet to see a Fig Rig outside a tradeshow floor. Just too specialized and awkward a piece of kit for most operators I think. Plus it's harder on your back compared to say a more traditional shoulder mount or even a steadicam vest.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Steven Falconer
on May 2, 2011 at 1:36:01 am

I use an sennheiser mke 400 mounted on the shoe and when I'm looking at extra coverage I used my zoom in tandum.

the sennheiser is usually pretty good (even with the agc) but the the handheld zoom combine with it makes a pretty good combo.

If you are so inclined lots of people rave about majic lantern. I'm a pretty advanced procrastinator so i haven't tried it yet but I'm almost convinced.

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on May 2, 2011 at 3:05:20 pm

I've done both. But the zoom on the shoe isn't that awkward. Patch the audio out in to your camera so you have audio in the zoom and the camera.

I also have a shoe splitter, which is top heavy to mount a light and audio / wireless when needed. This setup is on a tripod, so it doesn't really matter being top heavy.

Rode has a quality small shotgun mic. It all depends what type of audio you are trying to get.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite