FORUMS: list search recent posts

FYI: My GH2 doc-style shoot

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter J. DeCrescenzo
FYI: My GH2 doc-style shoot
on Apr 29, 2011 at 6:59:36 am

Just an FYI: Andy Wheeler and I recently completed a video about my little neighborhood Hillsdale Farmers' Market for the even little-er Hillsdale News.

All the location sound was recorded in-camera.

I'll add more b-roll shots to the edit within the next few days ... I've plenty-more slider shots of fruits & vegetables. ;-)

Gotta love the GH2's 8-bit compression gradient-banding artifacts visible at 1:42 (not)! My fault for shooting against a flat, unevenly-lit background. Live & learn.

Note: It's no fault of the camera, but there seems to be an audio sync issue in this compressed version of the edit. The audio is perfect in FCP. I'll try some different export settings in FCP to avoid this issue before I upload the next version of the edit.

Comments welcome.

The video & tech details can be viewed on Vimeo at:

---

http://www.peterdv.com

Return to posts index

Peter J. DeCrescenzo
Re: FYI: My GH2 doc-style shoot
on Apr 29, 2011 at 5:57:10 pm

I fixed the audio sync issue & re-uploaded the file. I caused the problem when I compressed the original version and didn't use the audio settings recommended by Vimeo. Duh! :-)

This new version of the file also includes a few additional close-ups of fruits & veggies. Cheers!

---

Return to posts index

John Frey
on Apr 30, 2011 at 1:27:03 am

Nice video, Peter. Which lens were you using?

John D. Frey
25 Year owner/operator of two California-based production studios.

Digital West Video Productions of San Luis Obispo and Inland Images of Lake Elsinore

Return to posts index

Peter J. DeCrescenzo
on Apr 30, 2011 at 2:34:01 am

Hi John: Thanks!

I used an old Nikon 55mm f1.2 lens at ~f2.0 for the exterior interviews & slider shots -- but I now realize the resulting video can be too soft at that aperture setting. I added some sharpening in post to most of the interview clips. This lens should really be used at f2.8 or higher aperture values for general use. However, its f1.2 setting can be a life-saver when there's not much light available.

I used the Lumix 14-140mm kit zoom for most of the hand-held b-roll shots. The interview shot in the office with Eamon Molloy was shot using a Lumix 20mm pancake lens @ f1.7 - f2.0 -- that lens is sharp even wide open! However, the GH2 rendered the unevenly-lit white wall behind him with hideous 8-bit gradient banding artifacts. Unfortunately, these cams don't handle unevenly lit flat solid colors well. I should have known better, and next time will compose my shots accordingly.

Cheers.

---

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Apr 30, 2011 at 11:52:23 pm

[Peter J. DeCrescenzo] "the GH2 rendered the unevenly-lit white wall behind him with hideous 8-bit gradient banding artifacts. Unfortunately, these cams don't handle unevenly lit flat solid colors well."

Peter, I'm not seeing the same banding artifacts in the interviews that I have done with the GH2. The last few I shot had a similar light/shadow gradient background and I thought it looked pretty decent.

This is a screengrab I took directly from the original MTS file, then sized down for the web in Photoshop. There is some banding, but nothing like what shows up in your interview. What are your camera settings and what are you encoding to for editing?

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

Peter J. DeCrescenzo
on May 1, 2011 at 1:03:13 am

[Jason Jenkins] "... I'm not seeing the same banding artifacts in the interviews that I have done with the GH2. The last few I shot had a similar light/shadow gradient background and I thought it looked pretty decent. ..."

Hi Jason: Very interesting! I've been using the Cinema film mode set to -1,-1,-1,-1 (or -1,-1,0,-1), with everything in full manual mode. AVCHD 1080p24 "24H". i.Dynamic & i.Resolution both OFF, and a manual WB (adjusted 1 click toward magenta & 2 clicks toward yellow).

In FCP 7.0.3 I use Log & Transfer to transcode to ProRes LT.

The gradient banding artifacts are very visible in the original .MTS in VLC and in ProRes in FCP and are not made worse when I export & compress the file for upload to Vimeo.

I wonder if it's the GH2 film mode I'm using (Cinema)? Which one are you using? Cinema? Smooth?

Thanks for following up ...

---

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on May 1, 2011 at 4:16:44 am

[Peter J. DeCrescenzo] "I've been using the Cinema film mode set to -1,-1,-1,-1 (or -1,-1,0,-1), with everything in full manual mode. AVCHD 1080p24 "24H". i.Dynamic & i.Resolution both OFF, and a manual WB (adjusted 1 click toward magenta & 2 clicks toward yellow)."

Hi Peter,

I'm using the "Vibrant" film mode with no tweaks; 1080p24 "24H". I noticed that I have iDynamic set to "High". I don't remember why I set it there and frankly I haven't noticed if it is activating when I shoot. I typically punch in a white balance preset then tweak to taste. I'm also encoding to ProRes (LT).

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media

Return to posts index

Peter J. DeCrescenzo
on May 1, 2011 at 4:53:16 am

Very interesting, Jason!

I'll have to experiment with Vibrant film mode, and that iDynamic=High setting, too. I'll let you know what I find out. Cheers.

---

Return to posts index

Peter J. DeCrescenzo
on May 3, 2011 at 4:01:42 am

FYI: I uploaded a new version of my edit including additional cut-away/b-roll clips I shot yesterday (Sunday), including jam, honey, kale, parsnips, potatoes & a crowd scene). The link is the same as before; see the 1st post in this thread.

All the new clips were shot using a Lumix 14-140mm zoom lens set at 25mm ("50mm equiv."), f4.7, with exposure controlled with a LCW Fader ND Mk 2 filter.

I made a few GH2 setting changes compared to the original footage: I used the Smooth film mode (instead of Cinema) adjusted to -1, -1, 0, -1 (instead of -1, -1, -1, -1). WB: Sunlight preset adjusted 1 click toward magenta & 2 clicks toward yellow.

I also re-adjusted the color-correction of all the footage a bit.

As before, the 720p24 version I uploaded to Vimeo was rendered out of FCP @ 5,000 kbits/sec. The 1080p24 version was rendered @ 8,000 kbits/sec.

---

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on May 5, 2011 at 7:50:34 am

Just for further comparison; I've uploaded an interview to the Cow. There is some banding visible, but I don't find it distracting.

Dr. Lichtenstein Bio

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]