FORUMS: list search recent posts

what should I buy for family videos for 3-4k?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Doug Buckser
what should I buy for family videos for 3-4k?
on Apr 27, 2011 at 9:05:56 am

G'day,

Our video camera is about six years old and a friend recommended replacing it with a DSLR which shoots video. I would be very grateful to hear your thoughts on whether that's a good idea. At present, I currently own:

40D Canon
24-105 4 L lens
70-200 4 L lens (no image stabilisation)
50 1.8 lens
85 1.8 lens
Manfrotto tripod (with a head that has three controls, not on a ball)
Final Cut Studio to edit with

Our main subject will be our active 5 year old daughter. Based on what I've read here, a 60D or 7D may be better than a 5d for the camera movements trying to keep up with her.

The audience will be grandparents and cousins - no commercial usage.

I'd be very interested in your thoughts. If you think that a dedicated video camera would be a better choice, that's obviously ok too.

Thanks in advance.

Doug

Return to posts index

Doug Buckser
Re: what should I buy for family videos for 3-4k?
on Apr 27, 2011 at 10:00:37 am

I should add that I've purchased the book From Stills To Motion, which will hopefully be delivered in 2-3 weeks. Hopefully any advice received and wisdom from the book will help to create a convincing business case to the wife...

Return to posts index

Ryan Orr
on Apr 27, 2011 at 1:19:34 pm

Get the 60d. I just got one and it phenomenal, and with that swivel screen, it will help shoot odd angles a lot.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Apr 27, 2011 at 3:07:04 pm

Yup- with your canon glass investment a 60D is perfecto.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Micah McDowell
on Apr 27, 2011 at 3:34:18 pm

I'd agree, the 60D would be perfect. You've got a great collection of lenses; get the 60D body and you'll be good to go.

Unless you've already got one, you may consider getting a good camera mounted shotgun mic for audio since you've got room in your budget. Something like the Rode VideoMic Pro, perhaps?

Return to posts index

Doug Buckser
on Apr 28, 2011 at 10:51:13 am

G'day,

Thanks for the information.

What are your thoughts on the 7D versus the 60D for this situation? The 7D appears to be a much better still camera (which my wife prefers). Do you think the 60D is a better video camera?

Thanks again for all your guidance.

Regards,
Doug

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
on Apr 28, 2011 at 12:35:39 pm

7D is the better still-camera, 60D the better video camera with it's swivel-screen and manual audio, but it's a great still cam as well!

Return to posts index

Brian Pitt
on Apr 29, 2011 at 5:05:27 pm

I sold my 7d to buy a 60d. I haven't regretted the decision. In terms of video quality, they are identical. But the 60d has the swiveling LCD which has been HUGE for me! Also, it has manual audio levels which is a huge plus is you are using any kind of external mic. (which I would recommend.) The 7d is considered a better still camera because it has a much more advanced auto focus system. But keep in mind that the cameras have the exact same sensor in them... so you can get just as good of stills out of the 60d as you can the 7d if you know what you are doing.

Go with the 60d and save some $$$ that you can use on some accessories. (rig, mic, LCD viewfinder, etc...)

Brian

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]