FORUMS: list search recent posts

class 4 sd card footage hell

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marko Zubraski
class 4 sd card footage hell
on Apr 25, 2011 at 2:40:25 am

Hi guys!

I was wondering if someone can help with this problem. 10 days ago I was shooting some friends band playing at this local club. But since I just ordered new class 10 sd card I had to use the old class 4 one and the footage is freezing and it can't be played normally.

I'd just basically like to add some titles, fade in and fade out to that video and export it as some 60-80Mb file for you tube. I've tried million versions with different containers, codecs, bitrates, effects and file sizes and they all turn totally pixelated and grainy.

Is there any way to save this footage, it doesn't really have to be in great quality, just a decent video for youtube? I'm on premiere cs3 and the camera is 550d.

thanks

Marko

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: class 4 sd card footage hell
on Apr 25, 2011 at 4:30:59 am

If the card was too slow to capture footage properly in the camera- you're basically out of luck...

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Marko Zubraski
on Apr 25, 2011 at 3:43:04 pm

The raw file of this video is 1,2Gb mov file so I added titles and few other things and exported it as 160 mb wmv file. Now if I play it with media player classic it plays fine but it's grainy and if I use vlc it plays completely fine, no grains or pixelation. Of course, youtube will play it without any filters and it will be the same as in media player classic. VLC must be using some sort of filter to stabilize the picture, i'd like to find out what that is and how can i apply it to my video. I shot this video in full HD, 24 fps.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Marko

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
on Apr 25, 2011 at 4:39:12 pm

It sounds like the footage may be okay, but you need to convert/transcode to an editing format - something like prores for the Mac or cineform for the PC. You can use MPEG stream clip to transcode footage - http://www.squared5.com/ - the only app that let's me take badly converted avchd footage and convert to prores.

Canon DSLRs use a modified AVCHD - basically MPEG4 with an h.264 wrapper, but using a variable bit rate and some nicer bells and whistles for better quality than AVCHD. This is what the Canon guy told me anyway and some I had already guessed. Anyhow, the point is that the footage is pretty compressed to begin with and getting it to run with no changes on most machines is trying. Some players handle h.264 / mp4 better than others, too, but get your footage to where you can edit it, do your titles, transitions, fx, etc, then export to whatever format you need. Until FCP X come out I guess... I know I'll have to buy a new machine... ;)

Jonathan Ziegler
http://www.electrictiger.com/
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Marko Zubraski
on Apr 25, 2011 at 10:29:11 pm

Thanks Jonathan, i'll try that. This whole thing is getting more interesting and so far i'm learning how much i don't know :). Other funny thing is when i edit in premiere and render the sequence i can watch it without freezing only when i press that 'fit to screen' option. It freezes when played in 100%, full screen mode. And also when in monochrome it looks and behaves much nicer.

Here is the link to video:

Original footage looks much better :)

Thanks

Marko

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
on Apr 25, 2011 at 11:32:33 pm

I suspect this is getting into larger hardware and software issues. I've run into many of these issues myself. When editing on my laptop, I cant play HD at full res either - it like 1/2 or 1/4 res. Part of this issue is that my laptop runs an intel core 2 duo with 3gb of RAM and a so-so graphics card. I'm also on a Mac. Sounds like you have a PC. look up the specs for your video/graphics card and you'll see real fast what you may need. Don't worry, you can always work around hardware and software issues it may just take longer.

Jonathan Ziegler
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Marko Zubraski
on Apr 26, 2011 at 12:10:45 pm

You're absolutely right, the issues here are a mix of everything mentioned above. I'm on PC, basic level system for cs3, nvidia geforce 8500 gt graphics card plus it's being used for lots of other things as well. I'm fairly new to this video stuff and i'll just have to plunge deeper, there are lot's of good tutorials on this site.

So to which format would you recommend me transcoding this mov file to?

Marko

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Apr 26, 2011 at 6:22:25 pm

Time to upgrade to CS5.5. You'll be glad you did. New HP quad core system for under $1,000 will work.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
on Apr 27, 2011 at 12:41:21 am

Heh, upgrades are a really loaded question. I agree, I think you should upgrade to CS5 (or 5.5), but that may not be an option. Honestly, if you plan to do video for any length of time, think about getting a machine dedicated to that purpose - no email, internet, contact list, MS Office, games, etc. You want a workhorse that doesn't have a million things on it, mucking up the registry, taking up RAM, etc. This is true if you use PC or Mac.

I was going to launch into a bunch of needlessly drawn out drivel about how I love Macs, but I won't. Lucky you. ;) Truth is, both PC and Mac platforms have great, viable configurations for not too much money.

If you have a laptop, upgrades are often difficult or limited. First, see if you can upgrade your video card (probably not if its a laptop - desktop systems have the advantage there) or increase RAM (max your RAM). I've seen a lot done on poorly configured machines, but RAM and video memory are gonna be key factors. Check out the hard drive - can you upgrade to a faster drive (ie: you may have a 5400RPM 32M cache 2.5" SATA drive- can you install a bigger drive that spins at 7200RPM with a bigger cache?). May seem small, but when you are dealing really big video files that stream out at 100s of megabits per second, every little bit helps. If you can get 8GB of RAM on your machine, it can really help.

RAM will help your video editor handle its job, video memory will offload processor time to a dedicated graphics CPU, and a bigger, faster hard drive will help shift data from RAM-to-drive and back and drive-to-drive. Also, you may be able to upgrade your CPU, but these are usually pretty limited and you may have to reinstall your OS.

Finally, check the various Cow hardware forums for info on PC, Mac, video card, RAM, hard drive, et al, configurations.

Jonathan Ziegler
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]