FORUMS: list search recent posts

1280 x 720 for short film

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Julio Thillet
1280 x 720 for short film
on Apr 22, 2011 at 11:16:17 pm

Guys,

I am filming my (no budget) short film on a 7d and I am sticking with 1280 x 720 60p only for the reason that it is painful for me to edit full 1920x 1080 on my 4gig windows laptop in Adobe Premiere. (lots of render crashes, slow rendering..just painful).

So with that said switching is not really an option (since I have already filmed the first quarter of the film in 1280).

My question is HOW MUCH LOSS will i see when I go to display in a small movie theater. Will it be so noticeable that I am booed out of the theater and called an amateur? or is 1280 not such a terrible way to go?

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
Re: 1280 x 720 for short film
on Apr 22, 2011 at 11:27:06 pm

[Julio Thillet] "My question is HOW MUCH LOSS will i see when I go to display in a small movie theater. Will it be so noticeable that I am booed out of the theater and called an amateur? or is 1280 not such a terrible way to go?"

If you get booed out of the theater, it won't be because you shot in 720 instead of 1080. It will be because your story sucks. Make sure your story doesn't suck.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

Julio Thillet
on Apr 22, 2011 at 11:33:54 pm

NICE, Good to know it wont be equipment that gets me Booed ^_^

Thanks for the response

Return to posts index

Daniel Hughes
on Apr 22, 2011 at 11:34:25 pm

I shoot at 1080p but edit in DVD resolution, then render in full HD.
Works a treat if your system is less than ideal!

Daniel Hughes
Amateur Writer, Director,
Director of Photography
United Kingdom

Return to posts index

Julio Thillet
on Apr 22, 2011 at 11:43:39 pm

oh? Daniel could you walk me through the steps of doing that? I edit with Premiere and I am not sure which setting would be DVD ( I went to open a new file now to see my options, I am not sure which one would allow DVD?

I usually edit in HDV

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Apr 23, 2011 at 12:59:48 am

I'd ask this on the Adobe forum. Bottom line is there are many ways to 'edit offline' so that you'll have an easier workflow editing but still be able to do your final output in 1080p. There's no reason to limit yourself to 720p just for the sake of a little better editing performance.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
on Apr 23, 2011 at 2:06:29 pm

Proxy editing (editing in smaller resolutions) in Premiere is quite easy. Batch transcode all your footage to your desired editing resolution. Edit your footage in an appropriate Premiere project. Open the locked edit in an HD project, set all of your source footage to offline and relink it with the FullHD files. A bit time consuming, but works quite well.

hth

Return to posts index

Daniel Hughes
on Apr 24, 2011 at 12:15:56 am

Really? In Vegas you just click whatever resolution in a drop down list, edit, then put it back to HD and you're done haha! Goodness!

Daniel Hughes
Amateur Writer, Director,
Director of Photography
United Kingdom

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
on Apr 26, 2011 at 8:29:31 am

[Daniel Hughes] "Really? In Vegas you just click whatever resolution in a drop down list, edit, then put it back to HD and you're done haha! Goodness!"

I think, with Premiere CS5 it's possible to change resolution of any sequence any time.
Maybe I misunderstood your post, but that hasn't anything to do with proxy-editing, has it? You still have to relink the low-res clips to the high-res videos...

Return to posts index

Ryan Puno
on Apr 27, 2011 at 12:03:09 pm

Is this possible in Final Cut? Could you guide me the steps. Thanks! :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]