FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tripod Recommend--is bigger better?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Thomas
Tripod Recommend--is bigger better?
on Apr 21, 2011 at 12:03:49 am

Hey All. Question: I got my GH2 and am now looking for tripod leg recommendations on a budget. The Manfrotto 190 legs look good but here's by bigger question. Does it make sense to buy heavier duty tripod legs for added stability? I can buy the Manfrotto 190 legs which weigh about 4 lbs and support 10 pounds....OR I could buy something like the older Manfrotto 350mvb legs which weigh 8 pounds and support 44 pounds. Obviously I don't need to support that much weight but wouldn't the 350 legs which are more heavy duty be sturdier?

I owned the 350mvb legs when I had a bigger camera and those legs are HEAVY but stable. Will I be disappointed with lighter legs?

Love this forum, btw!

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
Re: Tripod Recommend--is bigger better?
on Apr 21, 2011 at 12:45:14 am

If I were buying a tripod today, I would go for this:

Manfrotto 536

or this:

Miller Solo VJ

Lightweight with no spreader makes them easy to carry and set up anywhere.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

Roger Martin
on Apr 21, 2011 at 2:12:39 am

Your video platform can not be too stable.
But, it usually needs to be mobile.
I have a big heavy monfrotto and full wimberly head that I used for HillClimbs with a 300-800 lens.

The rig I like for video is the Slik U212 with 5310 movie head.
Very versatile and not so heavy.

Return to posts index

Chip Thome
on Apr 21, 2011 at 10:22:37 am

Mike you are comparing apples and oranges here, picking between these two. One is entry level and one is pro grade. If you have already experienced "the good stuff", then yes, the entry level one probably will disappoint you.

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Apr 27, 2011 at 4:05:35 am

Mike, be sure to read this review...
http://www.dvuser.co.uk/content.php?CID=228

Nigel is a working pro writing for working pros. I wondered why my Bogen head was such a pain in the *ss until I read Nigel's overview of why it's a mess. I bought the Libec on ebay after reading this, 1/2 price, and mounted my Libec head on my Manfrotto carbon fibre legs. It's a GREAT combination. The Libec head is very much better ergonomically. The legs are very good, but the real issue I face is wind. Out here on the coast I can shoot in 30kt winds and up, sometimes in a brisk storm, up to 60 kt. I needed stability. the Manfrotto carbon fibre are really solid. The Libec, less so, until you get into the high end.

So stay with 'pro grade' meaning retail $800 and up (ebay sometimes much less). Some pros pay well over $2k as their tripods last way longer than their cameras. Wish I had my tripod from the 70s still!

Alf

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]