FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best cards for shooting HD on 7D

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kyle Galbraith
Best cards for shooting HD on 7D
on Apr 20, 2011 at 6:07:01 pm

Hi everyone,

I tried searching this forum for this question, but none of the topics I found really match mine. My question is, I am renting a 7D next week for my first try at DSLR video and the rental comes with one 16gb CF card and one 8gb CF. I am just curious if I should go ahead and buy my one card right now or if these will suffice? I don't know the specs on them. Any help would be great everyone! Thank you.

Return to posts index

Phil Balsdon
Re: Best cards for shooting HD on 7D
on Apr 20, 2011 at 9:34:28 pm

That's in total enough for just over an hour of video. If you have a lap top and CF card reader with you you can transfer from a card whilst shooting on the other.

Choose a card that is fast enough for video. 400x or 60MB/s such as Sandisk Extreme. Other users I know use Lexar or Transcend successfully.

Cinematographer, Steadicam Operator, Final Cut Pro Post Production.
http://philming.com.au
http://www.steadi-onfilms.com.au/

Return to posts index

John Neer
on Nov 2, 2011 at 7:50:37 pm

I have a Canno 5D...just starting with it. Can I connect the camera to my laptop via hdmi and use the laptop as the monitor as I record video? I don't have a clue how to do such a thing!

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Nov 2, 2011 at 8:45:07 pm

That won't work

http://podcasts.creativecow.net/dslr-video-podcast/dslr-monitoring-solution...

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: From Still to Motion, Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and Motion Graphics with Adobe Creative Suite 5 Studio Techniques

Return to posts index

brian klassen
on Apr 21, 2011 at 1:24:05 pm

I recently purchased a Sandisk Extreme Pro (90 mb/s). Probably overkill for me, but I got a great price on it. And I want to be able to shoot (RAW)time lapse at a 2 or 3 second frame rate, so wanted to make sure I wouldn't have buffer issues (have the card not be able to process the data as fast as the camera was inputing it). No problems yet. It may still be overkill. I also have a Sandisk Extreme (60 mb/s). That may have been enough. But those two (both 16gb) and an inexpensive Transcend 16gb I feel like I have enough speed, memory and options to do what I want to do.

I'm not quite technically inclined enough to crunch the numbers to know exactly what I can and can't do with the above Sandisk cards. Perhaps someone else more mathematically driven can post some guidelines in that regards. Information I myself would like and benefit from.

I always find that being thoughtful and specific about exactly what I want to accomplish leads me to an informed decision, and keeps me from buying accessories (all of them cool, and probably very useful) I don't need.

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Apr 21, 2011 at 8:00:40 pm

I'd buy the Sandisc Extreme. Never had a problem.

I don't recommend Transcend anything. Poor quality control.

32 Gig will give you about 1 hr. 50 min.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

mike safety
on Apr 23, 2011 at 1:55:35 pm

Just about to ask the same question about the cf cards. Just got my 7d. Didn't want to spend any unnecessary money on the cf cards. Thanks

Return to posts index

Clark Cooper
on Apr 28, 2011 at 11:31:49 pm

I also stand by SanDisk Extreme. The 90MB/s (600x) cards are probably overkill for the 5D and 7D. Since prices for CF cards continually drop like a rock, I'd get what you need now and if you have heaftier data-rates to deal with in the future (Nanoflash, Gemini, KiPro Mini, Ninja, etc, etc.) you can upgrade (cheaper) later.

I run the SanDisk 60MB/s (400x) cards in my 7D and 5Dii (and in the Nanoflash at 180Mbps) without a hitch.

Clark Cooper
Abbey HD Camera Rentals
http://www.AbbeyHD.com/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]