FORUMS: list search recent posts

Panasonic GH2 Exposure Question

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Bartz
Panasonic GH2 Exposure Question
on Apr 20, 2011 at 1:12:59 am

Hello!

I recently purchased a Panasonic GH2 to do video interviews. I didn't have much time with it before I had to leave on business. I'm a little new to the DSLR Video world, having used a Sony DSR-300 in a previous life. My question is about exposure in Cinema 24P mode. In my short time with the unit, it looks like the only exposure controls were the ISO setting, and the rear dial which moved an indicator on the screen from -3 to +3. (what was this controlling?)

My question is: can you adjust the iris setting in 24P Cinema mode, or do you have to go to manual movie mode to make this happen?

Looking forward to getting back to the camera, and participating in this forum.

TIA,

-db-

p.s. The selling point for going DSLR Video was the excellent podcasts by Rich and Robbie.

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
Re: Panasonic GH2 Exposure Question
on Apr 20, 2011 at 4:12:42 am

[David Bartz] "I recently purchased a Panasonic GH2 to do video interviews. I didn't have much time with it before I had to leave on business. I'm a little new to the DSLR Video world, having used a Sony DSR-300 in a previous life. My question is about exposure in Cinema 24P mode. In my short time with the unit, it looks like the only exposure controls were the ISO setting, and the rear dial which moved an indicator on the screen from -3 to +3. (what was this controlling?)

My question is: can you adjust the iris setting in 24P Cinema mode, or do you have to go to manual movie mode to make this happen?"

Hi Dave,

Great choice with the GH2. I'm loving mine! The -3, +3 that you saw is the Exposure Compensation Indicator. Basically, you use it to tweak your exposure when you are in auto exposure mode. I prefer to stay in manual exposure mode. If you depress (click) the rear dial, you will toggle between the iris and the exposure compensation. So, yes –you can adjust the iris in 24p mode. Don't forget to turn the histogram on so you can have constant on-screen exposure evaluation. Don't like the position of the histogram? Just touch it with your finger and move it wherever you like. Sweet. The GH2 is a killer interview camera. Let me know if you have any audio questions. I've got a good system worked out. Have fun!

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

David Bartz
on Apr 20, 2011 at 4:42:23 am

Thanks so much, Jason! I can't wait to get home and try it out.

Return to posts index

Peter J. DeCrescenzo
on Apr 20, 2011 at 5:29:30 am

FYI: I've attached a 1920 x 1080 frame from a interview I shot today using my GH2. The video has not been color-corrected -- this frame was grabbed directly from the camera-original .MTS file using VLC.

I use my GH2 in 100% full manual Creative Movie mode, recording AVCHD @ 24 megabits/sec. (1080p24 "24H" mode). This video was shot using Cinema Film Mode settings of -1,0,0,-1, 1/50th shutter, ISO 640, f1.7 (Lumix 20mm lens), i.Dynamic & i.Resolution both OFF, manual WB (adjusted 2-clicks toward magenta & 1 click toward yellow). Misc.: LCW Fader ND Mk2 on lens, two KinoFlo Diva lights.

Sennheiser ME66 mic recorded in-camera via a -25db inline attenuator & XLR-to-2.5mm audio adapter (GH2 mic input set to lowest setting "1"). The recorded audio sounds surprisingly good.

I hope to have the video up online soon-ish.

Considering I paid only $630 (free shipping & no tax, too!) for my body-only GH2, I'm quite pleased with the results I'm able to get with it. Cheers.

---

http://www.peterdv.com

Return to posts index

David Bartz
on Apr 20, 2011 at 6:06:51 am

Wow. Nothing like getting your decision reinforced. ;)

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Apr 20, 2011 at 3:46:05 pm

Nice one- yeah the 20mm pancake is the GH2 lens I'd want on if stranded a desert island (along with a solar charger of course). It rocks.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Apr 20, 2011 at 4:31:02 pm

Here's a GH2 screen grab from a promotional video I'm working on.

I can't quite put my finger on it... but somehow it looks way better than Peter's screen shot.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

Peter J. DeCrescenzo
on Apr 20, 2011 at 5:03:47 pm

[Jason Jenkins] "... I can't quite put my finger on it... but somehow it looks way better than Peter's screen shot."

:-)

Well, in fairness, I goofed in my shooting setup in that I should have lit the background a bit brighter. The texture-painted walls behind the Chief display the 8-bit gradient banding that DSLR video compression is (rightly) infamous for.

Having said that, the JPEG frame grab I posted looks worse in this regard than the original video footage. If the banding is a problem in the edit (or in the further-compressed web version) I'll mix-in some noise to somewhat smooth/dither it.

This of course is one of the many important ways "real" (generally more expensive) video cameras out-perform DSLR video. However, in terms of bang-for-the-buck, a GH2 is hard to beat. (Until the "GH3" or whatever is announced, etc. etc.)

But I don't think that was what Jason was referring to. ;-)

---

Return to posts index

Peter J. DeCrescenzo
on Apr 20, 2011 at 6:15:45 pm

FYI: A very brief, camera-original AVCHD ".MTS" clip from yesterday's interview is available on Vimeo for viewing & downloading:

---

Return to posts index

Colin Kelly
on Apr 23, 2011 at 7:39:06 pm

Jason,

[Jason Jenkins] "The GH2 is a killer interview camera. Let me know if you have any audio questions. I've got a good system worked out."

I'd love to hear about your audio system for the gh2. I've been trolling cow and others looking for ideas and solutions for rigging a gh2 to capture low-profile interviews, run-and-gun style. Possibly one Lectro wireless for the talent and then either a shotgun or another wireless. How are you set up?

Colin Kelly
http://tampafreelancevideography.com

Return to posts index

Tim Whitfield
on Aug 11, 2011 at 2:28:22 am

A friend of mine has the GH2 and we have a problem with the iris / exposure geting bright or dark when we pan by say a window or a lighted room from a darker room or subject.

He says he is in manual mode but it still does it. I't kinda fustrating. Today we shot with that camera and the HVX in the same room with the same lighting and the GH2 did that, while the HVX (set on manual iris) did not.

Why does the GH2 still do that while set to manual?

Return to posts index

Steve Sherrick
on Oct 22, 2011 at 9:02:15 pm

You've probably already disovered by now but there is a setting in GH2 menu that allows the LCD to adjust depending on environment. I found this would cause disturbing behavior and think your recorded image would have that effect. Is this problem you're describing recorded into your image?

Steve Sherrick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]