FORUMS: list search recent posts

HDMI Monitor - question

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lars Wikstrom
HDMI Monitor - question
on Feb 15, 2010 at 8:58:46 am

Anyone know if there is there an HDMI monitor out there can can both show the image and show you a histogram at the same time. Or one that you can flip from image to hisogram to make sure of proper exposure?

Thanks!

-Lars

Return to posts index

Norman Pogson
Re: HDMI Monitor - question
on Feb 15, 2010 at 3:11:46 pm

The main manufacturer with a monitor that has focusing aids etc is the Marshall monitors, I have this on my list: http://www.lcdracks.com/monitors/v-lcd70p-hdmi.html

My Canon 7D Blog

Return to posts index

Chandler Kauffman
on Feb 23, 2010 at 6:13:35 pm

I'm looking for something that will work with my Canon and m Sony EX1.
I just used that Marshall with my 5D2 on a job, annoying that you can't view the image full screen, unless I'm missing something. Makes it not much better for focus than the camera's screen, and it snaps into that weird SD mode when you record.
Does the SmallHD have these issues?

Sony EX1
Canon 5d mark 2
FCP 6.06

Return to posts index

Robbie Carman
on Feb 15, 2010 at 7:17:47 pm

more often than a histogram you'll find a waveform (with either luma and or RGB parade options) a waveform is similar to a histogram in the information it shows you but has the added benefit of mimicking the picture from left to right. The tonal range is mapped from top (white) to black (bottom).

Additionally, if a RGB parade is not available you can use a vectroscope that many monitors have to measure hue and saturation in the clip

Robbie Carman
----------------
Colorist and Author
Check out my new Books:
Video Made on a Mac
Apple Pro Training Series DVDSP
From Still To Motion

Return to posts index

Tom Nelson
on Feb 15, 2010 at 8:56:30 pm

The Marshall 70 has false color, which gives you a very usable color scale highlighting certain areas of exposure with different colors based on the IRE level. Better than a histogram.

Tom Nelson
Videographer/Editor
Essex Television Group

Return to posts index

Lars Wikstrom
on Feb 15, 2010 at 10:38:17 pm

Thanks guys... I saw the marshal and it sounds like that is the better one to get. I know it is not as clear as the smallHD for focus but the other features seem to be what I would need to get these results. and RGB would be best if I could have both on the screen. I know you guys are thinking the same thing. someone will come out with it I am sure.

-Lars

Return to posts index

Lars Wikstrom
on Feb 16, 2010 at 11:50:29 pm

I sent an email to SmallHD asking if they were planing to have something in the future that would allow exposure assist. They said they were thinking about it but nothing to release or talk about yet. It would be nice with a Small HD 9" that can help with Exposure assist.

-Lars

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]