FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video Quality...setting ISO???

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chuck Purnell
Video Quality...setting ISO???
on Apr 15, 2011 at 2:18:35 pm

Does setting the ISO high or low have an affect on how your video will look in terms of being very noisy or less noisy? I am only speaking of shooting video with this question. Reason I ask, is that I did a shoot over the weekend with my Nikon D90 in a dimly lit night club. I had my LED lightpanels light on the camera but when I imported all my clips into Final Cut Pro, it was really "noisy" looking and I would think it should have been cleaner. The club was not pitch black. The lights were on but they were dimmed and then I had my on camera light. My ISO was set to 320 and then I bumped it up to 400 towards the end of the night. Obviously the D90 only shoots 1280x720 so it can be compared to the quality of the popular Canon cameras. I have shot video with the D90 all last summer but it was mostly all outdoor footage and it looked good. Is there anything I can do in post to try and clean it up a little? If not, I will just use this as a learning experience. Oh yea my shutter was set to 1/50. So back to my original question, if ISO matters in video mode, should I have bumped it all the way down to get a cleaner image? Hopefully I will have the D7000 by the end of the month!

Cre8tive Minds Entertainment, LLC

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
Re: Video Quality...setting ISO???
on Apr 15, 2011 at 3:04:36 pm

Yes. I try to limit my ISO to 1600, but you can go up to 2000 and still have acceptable video. Higher ISO introduces noise.

A lot of your image quality has to do with which lens you are using. If you shoot with a faster 1.2 - 2.8 lens, you will have a better image in low light than a lens with a higher F-stop.

Of course, adding some light always helps.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

Chuck Purnell
on Apr 15, 2011 at 3:19:54 pm

Oh okay sounds like I have some more experimenting to do and need to pick up a lens or two as well!

Thanks!!!

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Apr 15, 2011 at 3:31:07 pm

Crank the light up. I shoot with the canon 7D and 5D MkII, so I'm not familiar with your camera. But, if you have proper lighting, you shouldn't see noise at anything below 1000.

You have some spending to do. Lenses are everything.

Brent Dunn
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop

Return to posts index

Chuck Purnell
on Apr 15, 2011 at 5:36:28 pm

your not lying about that! I have been reading up on lenses and doing some research on the go to lens or lenses to use.

Return to posts index

Scott Thomas
on Apr 18, 2011 at 12:19:58 pm

Hi Chuck.

I have tried to shoot video with my D90 and the results are worse than disappointing. In medium to low light the camera seems to crank up the ISO or adds digital gain to achieve the video level it wants.

So despite using F2.8 lenses I couldn't shoot anything I could submit to stock sites.

Now looking at the Panasonic GH2 for a better solution.

Return to posts index

Andy Pauquette
on Apr 18, 2011 at 1:58:52 pm

I may be wrong (I am a Canon owner) but I was under the impression that the D90 ignores most if not all settings while shooting video, resorting to an auto-ISO, auto-exposure mode of operation. If that is the case, changing your ISO settings while shooting stills will have no effect at all on video shooting -- the camera will still choose whatever ISO it thinks is best given the light level. I hope that a Nikon user will either confirm or correct this.

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Apr 18, 2011 at 2:12:13 pm

Yeah, if it's an auto setting, you don't be able to have any effect except to use proper lighting.

Time to invest in either a canon 60D (cheapest), 7D or 5D Mark II (best quality)

Brent Dunn
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop

Return to posts index

Chuck Purnell
on Apr 18, 2011 at 2:25:03 pm

I was going to hop over to Canon and focus on getting either the 7D or 5D but then Nikon came out with the D7000 which is no Canon 5D Mark II but adds several things the D90 lacked. Seems like the industry has really shown the Canon cameras a lot of love in terms of shooting HD video. You hardly ever hear anything being shot with Nikon. Every review or article I read online or in a magazine has to do with a Canon camera. With that said, I did use a 5D Mark II to shoot a music video a few months ago! LOL!

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Apr 18, 2011 at 2:55:11 pm

The Nikon is lacking some features for video, so I think you've answered your own question. If you already have Nikon lenses, you can get an adaptor for the canon and keep using your lenses.

Brent Dunn
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop