FORUMS: list search recent posts

Please advise a lense for T2i

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Sailer
Please advise a lense for T2i
on Apr 10, 2011 at 3:12:45 pm

I recently went on vacation and my camera equipment was stolen. I am looking at replacing it but I have a budget of about $1500. I am going to get the T2i (was looking at the 60D also but that would leave me less for lenses).

I need a decent lens that will work in low light situations as well as full sun for video and pictures. Mostly to take video of my daughter during dance recitals and soccer games. The dance recital videos are usually from about 20-30 yards away and the lighting is low. The soccer games are from the sideline so I can be more then 1/2 the field away while trying to capture the goal.

I can not afford an L lens and The lens that was stolen was a Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS. I was considering that or possibly the kit lens 18-135mm IS. I am also open to trying non Canon lenses.

For $500 or less what would you recommend for what I am looking to accomplish?

Thank you for your help.

Mike

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Please advise a lense for T2i
on Apr 10, 2011 at 7:23:57 pm

Yeah kit lens sounds like what you get. It's very slow so dance recitals are going to require dipping into the higher ISOs but that's not the end of the world. At under $500 there's not a lot of options for someone clearly needing a utility zoom.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Apr 11, 2011 at 3:09:26 am

Why not rent some and see what you like.

borrowlenses.com

**Hindsight is always 1080p**

Return to posts index

Mike Sailer
on Apr 11, 2011 at 3:21:38 am

I may just do that. I actually looked at their site today.

Thank you.

Mike

Return to posts index

Thomas Pohl
on Apr 11, 2011 at 6:28:52 am

The t2 is very light sensitive. So for your needs I would recommand a lense like the Sigma 18-250. That's a very usefull all in one tool.

Cheers
Thomas.

http://www.footage-online.de - RED footage and more available in HD, SD and RED RAW R3D

Return to posts index

Andy Pauquette
on Apr 11, 2011 at 1:34:54 pm

Why not go for the T3i instead? As I understand it, it has better high ISO performance, plus the crop mode. That and a faster prime lens like the 100mm/f2 will get you in real close at low light. No zoom, but you are asking a lot for $500.

Another option is going with a cheaper used manual focus zoom, plus an adapter. I have a T2i that spends most of its time mounted to an old Vivtar Series 1 70-210/3.5 zoom (well under $100, with the adapter). All of the tight shots in this video were shot with that lens (the rest were shot with a GH1 and a kit lens):

http://www.vimeo.com/13330932

By the way, the soft focus in spots is me, not the lens -- that was before my new bifocals!

Return to posts index

Mike Sailer
on Apr 11, 2011 at 3:16:38 pm

Thank you all for your assistance.

Return to posts index

Kay Lean
on Apr 30, 2012 at 2:20:33 am

Hi Andy,

Read your post and decided to go and get Vivitar series 1. Your footage sold me... looks great to me!!

Was wondering if you could tell me what adapter worked for your t2i. The Vivitar series 1 lense I have ordered has Canon FD mount.

thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]