FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best DSLR for me, A55 or 600D?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Ridley
Best DSLR for me, A55 or 600D?
on Apr 7, 2011 at 4:41:26 pm

Hi I mainly do motion graphics and have never even owned a decent camera before..

I have bought a Hauge MMC and will buy a DSLR for video,

A55 or 600D? I will be making promo videos of shops and bars mainly.
Hope to use the steadycam a lot.

Im leaning towards the A55 now as I dont think I will have the skills initially to focus the 600D with moving and steadycam shots.

So I go full auto with the A55, would I be able to lock all the other levels except for focus? like exposure etc

Or I get the 600D and what would I do? Just put more time into planning shots with the steadycam? Set a focus that seems to be the most in focus throughout the whole steadycam movement?

Thanks for anyones advice.

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: Best DSLR for me, A55 or 600D?
on Apr 7, 2011 at 5:20:52 pm

I don't think you CAN focus the camera while using a steadicam. The reason I say this is that the action of re-focusing the lens will throw off the balance of the camera just by your touching it.

I have heard of more sophisticated productions using a two man crew to do this - the steadicam operator and a focus puller using a WIRELESS focus pull system so that the lens is never actually touched.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Apr 7, 2011 at 5:23:03 pm

If you're doing work for hire you would rarely want to leave anything in full automatic mode. I'd go with the Canon if for no other reason that there's a lot more great lenses to choose from. If I were doing jib and steadicam shots for example I'd want a nice wide angle fast lens with lots of depth of field so focus is not quite as critical.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Apr 7, 2011 at 5:59:48 pm

What is an "A55?"

The 60D does a great job for the price. I use steadicam with my 7D. Dial up your F-stop to 6 or higher if you can to increase the depth of field. Set your lens to infinity on the focus.

I never try to adjust focus with a steadicam, it'll ruin your steady shots, causing bumps and shakes. I also use my 7D on a crane with a monitor.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Apr 7, 2011 at 6:44:54 pm

Don't overlook the Panasonic GH2. It's a sweet cam!

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

Adam Ridley
on Apr 7, 2011 at 7:12:41 pm

Thanks for the replies, Im not sure about my abilities to manually focus and get a good result with the 600D having no experience at all..

Im going to go with the Sony A33 from what I have read its video is better than the A55 as it has less rolling shutter problems and does not overheat. Plus its only $632 Delivered..
I will end up getting a Canon thou, I really want to try out magic lantern.

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
on Apr 8, 2011 at 8:35:13 am

[Adam Ridley] "I will end up getting a Canon thou, I really want to try out magic lantern."

You might know that, but just to be sure:

There are Magic Lantern versions for the 5DMkII, the 550D (T2i) and very early versions for the 60D.

To my knowledge, there's no Version for the 600D (yet).

Got the T2i myself, running Magic Lantern. It's an amazing piece of software. So many handy features, that my T2i almost feels like a camcorder ;)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]