FORUMS: list search recent posts

5D2 Video focus technique

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick Pozzi
5D2 Video focus technique
on Apr 6, 2011 at 7:29:10 pm

Hey guys and gals,
I'm new to this forum so first I'd like to say hello.

So my question is, when taking video with an SLR how can I setup the focus where everything from lets say 6 to 10 feet out to infinity is in focus?
Do I need to figure out the hyperfocal distance for the focal length used and set that up? I have a DOF calculator for my iphone and it tells me the hyperfocal distance for a specific focal length.

The reason I ask is because I've seen a few videos taken with SLRs and I noticed everything is in focus without the used making adjustments, so I'm trying to figure out how they do that.

Thanks
R.

Canon 5D MkII / 70-200 f2.8 / 24-105 f4.0 / 85mm f1.8

Return to posts index

Errol Lazare
Re: 5D2 Video focus technique
on Apr 6, 2011 at 8:48:06 pm

If you close the iris of the lens then this will increase your depth of field which means you will have a larger area of focus in your shot.

Errol X. Lazare
EXL Films
http://www.exlfilms.com

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Apr 6, 2011 at 9:02:42 pm

Get a very wide angle lens and shoot at a closed down aperture. It's all about the optics. But then again the whole reason to get a DSLR in the first place is *shallow* depth of field. If you want everything in sharp focus, a standard fixed lens 2/3" camcorder will be much more what you're after. Sony EX1, Panasonic HVX200, etc.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Rick Pozzi
on Apr 6, 2011 at 10:13:47 pm

I agree about the role of the SLR, I just want to maximize what i can do with one.

So maximizing the focus area is as simple as shooting with a wide lens and a large F stop?

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Apr 7, 2011 at 3:28:17 am

Watch the COW DSLR podcast. It will help yu understand depth of field

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: From Still to Motion, Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and Motion Graphics with Adobe Creative Suite 5 Studio Techniques

Return to posts index

Rick Pozzi
on Apr 7, 2011 at 12:34:58 pm

I found the DSLR tutorials, that's great stuff. thank you.

Is that what you're referring too?

R.

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Apr 7, 2011 at 2:48:17 pm

It's an issue for those who shoot weddings. When the bride is coming down the isle, you have to keep the F-Stop at a high number, 6 or higher, and it will help keep every thing in focus. Also, set your focus ring to the infinity setting. Setting up your lens to a lower setting like 1.2 - 2.8 will give you a shallow depth of field.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

Cody Walters
on Apr 7, 2011 at 8:41:55 pm

Brent,

Just out of curiosity, what stabilizing gear do you use with a DSLR in a wedding situation when the bride is coming down the aisle? I purchased a shoulder mount, but I'm not in love with it.

Cody Walters

Mac Pro 2.26GHz 8 Core
16 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Final Cut Studio 3
Adobe CS5 Master Suite
Panasonic HVX-200
Canon 7D

http://www.codywaltersvideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]