FORUMS: list search recent posts

Framerate selection

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kristian Albrigtsen
Framerate selection
on Apr 5, 2011 at 10:12:40 am

Im planning a project where i will be using a Nikon D7000 DSLR for general creative shots and a GoProHD for "action" (skiing and climbing).

My dilemma is what framerate to shoot my footage with; ideally i would want to shoot all in 1080p30, and then convert to 24p if i so decided later. Unfortunately with the current firmware the D7000 only shoot 1080 in 24p (can shoot 720p with 30fps), GoPro shoot 1080 in 30fps (i will also shoot some 720p also in 30fps).

The project is to be published in Vimeo HD, and hopefully also on BluRay (and DVD for that matter) at some point.

Should i convert the D7000 footage to 30p before editing together with GoPro footage on a 30p timeline, or should i convert the GoPro footage to 24p and edit with D7000 footage on a 24p timeline?

Can i expect acceptable (i.e. excellent..) results using After Effects Advanced Frame Blending to convert between framerates?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Framerate selection
on Apr 5, 2011 at 3:15:47 pm

Do you get a common frame rate if you shoot at 720 rather than 1080?

Before you commit to using AE for a frame rate conversion, you should run a test FOR YOURSELF instead of taking someone else's word that it works. Their definition of "fine" and yours may be very different.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kristian Albrigtsen
on Apr 5, 2011 at 7:45:44 pm

Thanks for your answer. Yes, at 720 I get a common framerate. But I would prefer to have my footage in 1080, if i could without losses in IQ.

You are right regarding testing out myself and making up my own opinion, and I have done some; to be honest im having trouble spotting the difference between converting my 1080 D7000 footage from 24 to 30, and my 720 D7000 footage from 30 to 24 (Have not received the GoPro yet). There is little or no (to me) visual jiggery juggery going on, after using advanced frame blending (as from Richard Harringtons tutorial).

It would still be interesting to hear what would theoretically be the best way to go for the very best results in cases like this.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 5, 2011 at 8:00:15 pm

[Kristian Albrigtsen] "It would still be interesting to hear what would theoretically be the best way to go for the very best results in cases like this."

From the sheer ease of workflow, I would make the case for shooting 720 -- a perfectly viable HD option -- to get identical frame rates for the two cameras. Frame rate conversion then only needs to be done once, when the project is edited and IF a version in a different frame rate is even needed.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]