FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon 60D vs 5D

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
eric dole
Canon 60D vs 5D
on Apr 4, 2011 at 10:36:47 pm

A friend of mine is having buyer's remorse with the 60D because of "jerky picture during pan and also if hand-held is not rock solid." He wishes he had bought the 5D instead.

Now, we know that the 5D has a bigger sensor/image and is probably a better camera. But, here's my question. Is the 5D going to make a difference regarding the issue that my friend has? My guess is no. I think that he needs to get used to a different style of shooting. However, I could be wrong.

Would love to hear people's take on this. Thanks.

Eric

Return to posts index

Sohrab Sandhu
Re: Canon 60D vs 5D
on Apr 5, 2011 at 12:13:28 am

Eh? Did i read that right?

Your friend does not know what he is talking about. 60D is a damn good camera but only if the operator knows how to operate it! And even 5D can't produce any good image if the operator is an ignorant fellow.

Do i need to say more?

2.66 GHz 8-core, ATI Radeon HD 4870,
FCS 3, AJA Kona Lhi

"The creative person wants to be a know-it-all. He wants to know about all kinds of things: ancient history, nineteenth-century mathematics, current manufacturing techniques, flower arranging, and hog futures. Because he never knows when these ideas might come together to form a new idea. It may happen six minutes later or six months, or six years down the road. But he has faith that it will happen." -- Carl Ally

Return to posts index

Frank Giardina
on Apr 5, 2011 at 12:15:28 am

Hi...

I'm pretty sure that the 5D will do the same. Smooth movements and stability are a must with my 7D and 60D. That jello is because of the rolling shutter.

Let's see what everyone else has to share.

Best Regards!

Frank Giardina
17 Video Production

Return to posts index

Louise Dix
on Apr 5, 2011 at 4:10:02 am

Sohrab is right, I had minor problems with slight jello effect 2.5 years ago using the Canon 5D Mark II, when panning horizontally but, with improved panning technique , a better IS lens , better editing, and better software I cannot fault the performance of this camera.

This a bit of background info, the Canon D mark II is nothing like this http://www.hdvideopro.com/technique/miscellaneous-technique/video-assist-li...

Good luck

Creative Craft Designs
Australia

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Apr 5, 2011 at 2:08:32 pm

I use both cameras along with the 7D. You'll have the same "Jello" effect with any of these. Also, if he is "wip panning" it doesn't matter what camera he has, it'll all be bad.

I try to use camera stabilization with the DSLR's as much as possible. Even when shooting cinematic type movements, I'm on a slider, crane, glidecam, tripod, etc. In the rare moments I handheld, I brace my elbows and pull the strap against my neck to stabilize the shots.

I returned the 5D MkII after the first week because of this. I bought an EX1 because I needed a high end camera. Later I picked up the 7D, 5D, & 60D for my B Cameras. I use my EX-1 as my main camera so I can also control and monitor my audio.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

eric dole
on Apr 5, 2011 at 6:19:41 pm

Thanks Brent. Your answer really clarifies the issue. I've shared the thread with my friend.

Eric

Return to posts index

Ronnie Whitting
on Aug 13, 2011 at 9:28:46 pm

The 60D is a great camera to use for what your friend is trying to do. I agree the camera operator has to know what he is doing and use a fluid head tripod made for video and a built in stable mode for hand held with a HDSLR rig. The 5D or 7D would not have made any difference. Remember practice makes close to perfect. As perfect as the human can get it. Good luck with your debate with him.

Ron/ Executive Producer-AFP SPORTS TELEVISION / A.F. Productions
Tyler, Texas

Ron Whitting Executive producer-Owner
A.F. Productions / AFP-HD
Tyler, Texas

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]