FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon 550D Video format, export settings, vimeo/youtube! PLEASE

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Elliot Beach
Canon 550D Video format, export settings, vimeo/youtube! PLEASE
on Apr 4, 2011 at 9:59:49 pm

Ok so I use a Canon 550D for now to shoot my short films, and I still don’t ‘think’ I have achieved the absolute best quality video when exporting the video for youtube/vimeo and DVD. I’ve read countless different opinions but still I don’t seem to get the right results with large files.

I shoot in 1920 x 1080 25Fps .

Before editing on Final Cut Pro 7 I convert all my usable footage from the standard H.264, to the Apple Prores 422. I edit the footage in that format, which seems to be far smoother than going straight to FCP with H.264. Also there seems to be little to no quality loss.

Now when it comes to exporting I get a little lost with all the variations. So if the file is roughly 4GB+, (when exported in current settings) is it best to go either straight from FCP or through compressor?

Now if I export using ‘current settings’ that is fine for playback on the desktop, but files usually come larger than 4GB with what I’m doing. So to upload it to You Tube or Vimeo while preserving the BEST quality possible, (even when its at 360p which I’ve seen on some YT videos that use 550D/7D) what are the settings most people use? How can I compress a 4GB+ video so I can get it lower than the youtube 2GB limit (Vimeo 4GB I think) and still keep highest quality?

Additionally, if I want burn it to DVD format (Not data) my video seems to drop its quality a lot, which I know I normal, but I’m pretty sure not that much… What is the best way to export to DVD format so I can burn on DVD Studio Pro?

Please help with this so I can know once and for all! - Thank you in advance :)!

Return to posts index

Brandon Morris
Re: Canon 550D Video format, export settings, vimeo/youtube! PLEASE
on Apr 4, 2011 at 10:32:23 pm

For YouTube an Vimeo I just set to highest quality H264 and keyframe all. YouTube has their advanced uploaded which allows up to 10gb files. It's usually on the righ side of the upload page, a little discreet. If the video is still to big, YouTube says to limit quality to 5000 Kbps.

As for DVD, I export a full res out of FCP and use that file for converting to web and DVD. It's just faster and quality is usually the same as exporting from FCP to web format.

I take the full res file and open it in Compressor with the Apple preset for DVD. It'll make an .m2v video file and an audio file. Use those for DVD Studio Pro.

Brandon Morris
http://www.brandonmorris.com

Canon T2i
13" Macbook Pro (Mid 09) 8GB RAM 10.6

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]