FORUMS: list search recent posts

general use lens for 7D

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ashley Davis
general use lens for 7D
on Mar 29, 2011 at 11:07:48 pm

I'm about to order a Canon 7D body and I need a good everyday lens. At the moment, I'm only getting one lens but will eventually get others too. So I am looking for a good functioning high end lens, that is good for both video and photography and have a budget for around £750ish.

At the moment, I am looking at either the Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS EF-S adn the Canon EF-S 15-85mm. (heard nothing but great things about the 17-55 but the others seems better on both ends.

Can anyone give me some advice.. again, this will be an everyday lens, good for video and photo's and I will later invest more in other lenses.

Return to posts index

Robbie Carman
Re: general use lens for 7D
on Mar 30, 2011 at 12:26:47 am

Well I would put a vote towards the 17-55. This lens is absolutely one of the sharpest lenses in my bag. Great for photos, good for video (as good as photo lenses can be). I actually sold the Canon L 24-70 I had for the 17-55. Granted its EF-S so it will only work on cropped bodies like the 7D but its a really really good lens. On the long end don't forget that you get help from the 1.6x crop factor of the 7D. On the short end you might want to consider a super wide angle 10-12 mm to fit the wides you might need.

Robbie Carman
----------------
Colorist and Author
Check out my new Books:
Video Made on a Mac
Apple Pro Training Series DVDSP
From Still To Motion

Twitter
Blog

Return to posts index

Rick Diamond
on Mar 30, 2011 at 10:10:47 pm

The 17-55mm lens is equivalent to an "L" series lens. This is Canon's top of the line.
The reason it isn't branded an "L" series is because it's an APC lens.
It has a constant 2.8 aperture which is very important for video.

good luck

Rick

Return to posts index

Ashley Davis
on Mar 30, 2011 at 11:19:10 pm

This is a very stupid question can but it can it be adjusted for photos can't it?

Return to posts index

Rick Diamond
on Mar 30, 2011 at 11:38:29 pm

Yes. As it is zoomed through it's range, it maintains the aperture. You can set and change any aperture you desire.

Rick

Return to posts index

Malcolm Matusky
on Apr 1, 2011 at 12:23:46 am

I have the Canon 17~55 f2.8 IS, Great lens, also have the Tokina 11~16 f2.8 and Canon 70~200 f4.0 IS. I use the 17~55 most of the time, it lives on the 7D and my next used lens is the 70~200 though I will be adding an extension tube to be able to focus closer, the Tokina I rarely use, but for car interiors or other super tight spaces it works.

Malcolm
http://www.malcolmproductions.com

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Apr 1, 2011 at 6:56:30 am

[Ashley Davis] "At the moment, I am looking at either the Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS EF-S adn the Canon EF-S 15-85mm. (heard nothing but great things about the 17-55 but the others seems better on both ends. "

http://www.borrowlenses.com
Why not rent then each ant find out which you like better.

**Hindsight is always 1080p**

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]