FORUMS: list search recent posts

What camera is best for me?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ashley Davis
What camera is best for me?
on Mar 28, 2011 at 5:55:33 pm

Hi everyone, I've just started out in the tv/film industry and looking to buy a camera that gives great quality video and also a good picture quality as I freelance as both a photographer and cameraman.

I am looking at both the 7D and 5D mark ii, I have been going crazy the last few days trying to decide on which one to get being that I love both cameras for different reasons.

I like the idea of the 7D for the higher fps for slow motion and action shots and the the fact that is has a flash built in but I am also drawn towards the 5D for the apparent better image quality and that it is better in low light with a higher ISO. I have read through countless forums and I am still completely split!

Both have their obvious appeals and drawbacks but cannot decide which one would be more suited for me. At the moment, I feel slightly more drawn towards the 7D but also find the 5D appealing for its advantages in low light.. does anyone have experience of both? Is the 5D noticeably better in low light? and is the 7D still quite good in low light?

If anyone can help, I really appreciate it as I am about to go insane if I read another forum with people arguing that their camera is better.

In a way, it would be better going for the 7D to save money and then I can maybe get an extra lens but if the 5D is definitely better, I will go for that. Which one would be better for audio?

Im going to buy a lens with wahtever camera I get but yet to decide on which one to go for.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: What camera is best for me?
on Mar 29, 2011 at 7:15:27 am

What about 60D- articulated monitor. Or also Panasonic GH2- better processing, though smaller sensor.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

Matt Doe
on Mar 29, 2011 at 4:16:09 pm

I like the idea of the 60D with the articulated monitor, been many a shoot where I would have loved to have that on my 5D.

If I were buying today, I'd go 7D or 60D, and use the extra savings from not getting the 5D towards a nicer lens.

Camera bodies will always get better, but investing in really nice glass will last you a lifetime.

Return to posts index

Ashley Davis
on Mar 29, 2011 at 8:09:05 pm

After days of researching, I have decided to go for the 7D for personal reasons. I am going to get the body and spend extra on a nice lens.. I will buy alternative lenses at a later point but for now I want a great lens that will be useful for everyday use. I keep hearing the 17-5mm f/2.8 IS is a great starting lens..

http://www.simplyelectronics.net/mainproduct.php?pid=612&setcurrency=gbp

Do people agree or have experience on this lens? As I said before, it will be my everyday use lens that will be used for pictures and video. Also, would this be sufficient for basic zoom?

What you guys reckon? if theres something better out there, i would love to hear about it.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Frank Giardina
on Mar 29, 2011 at 8:37:48 pm

The 7D is a great camera... we have the 7D and 60D. Depending on your needs, the canon 24-70mm f2.8 is a great all around lens.

Frank Giardina
17 Video Production

Return to posts index

Richard Cooper
on Mar 29, 2011 at 9:05:40 pm

"...24-70mm f2.8 is a great all around lens..."

Agreed... this one, I think comes the closest for a one lens option. But I have found that 24mm on the 7D is not wide enough for my personal taste. I think the bottom line is, a single lens just wont cover all of your bases.... but If you can add a 16-35mm F2.8L on the wide end and then of course a 70-200mm f2.8L on the telephoto end of the scale you will be quite happy, I am sure, but these 3 lenses cost about $5600 all in... a little less if you can find them used.

Good Luck!

Richard Cooper
FrostLine Productions, LLC
Anchorage, Alaska
http://www.frostlineproductions.com

Return to posts index

Frank Giardina
on Mar 29, 2011 at 9:11:55 pm

Richard is right on. If you pack the 16-35mm F2.8L and a 70-200mm f2.8L, you'd be in great shape for sure.

Frank Giardina
17 Video Production

Return to posts index

Ashley Davis
on Mar 29, 2011 at 9:35:19 pm

A I won't be able to afford a second lens for a while, I ideally need one that will hold me for a while. What about the 17-55mm? and then at a later date getting a stronger zoom lens?

Return to posts index

Ashley Davis
on Mar 29, 2011 at 9:43:44 pm

...Purely over the 16-35mm to get that slight bit of more zoom.

Return to posts index

Ashley Davis
on Mar 29, 2011 at 10:03:19 pm

Ok so apperently the 15-85 is also very good and since its stronger on both ends of the scale, I could be tempted by this. What you guys reckon?

Return to posts index

Matt Doe
on Mar 30, 2011 at 6:32:59 pm

If you can, avoid getting any of the Canon EFS lenses.

If, in the future, you upgrade to a full frame sensor camera, like the 5D, or rent one for a specific job, the EFS lenses will not work.

Stick with the Canon EF mount.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]